94 mitsubishi eclipse 2.0 non turbo running on 2 cylinders, coil packs good

145

Asked by Mar 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM about the 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0

i was driving my car and when i went to shift the car stalled out, i started it back up and i
had the check engine light on and i was running on cylinders 1 and 4 only, i checked the
coil packs and they were within tolerance. i changed the plugs and wires and checked the
harness all are within specs, i swapped the coils and the problem was the same running
on 1 and 4 with no spark to 2 and 3 any ideas what it could be?

145

i got a test light and hooked it up to the maintenance port and got code 44, which is a coil pack, i talked to a friend who flips cars and he told me even if the coil pack ohms are within tolerance there could be something wrong. so if your having the same problem you can get the codes on your car your self. http://www.troublecodes.net/mitsu/ here you can find out how to read your codes. you hook a test light to the pin circled in the photo and the ground.

6,125

so you got this fixed then ?

145

i haven't gotten the coil pack in yet, should be here any day but i will update everyone once i get it installed and running

6,125

cool ,,, just curious but did you test the PTU too as well ?

Best Answer
145

i have not tested the PTU yet, got the new coil and installed still doesn't run right, how would i go about testing the PTU never had to do it before.

6,125

im not sure about the specs for the eclipse but I can give you the write up on how to test the 3000gt PTU,, but the specs could be different on the ohms and all that

145

i was able to pull up the specs on it and get it tested. the side for cylinders 2 and 3 is bad, tried to go to a junk yard to get one to test with no luck, all the eclipses there had the 420a and i have the 4g63 so i had no idea where to find the ptu, i ordered a new one online today and it should be here tuesday.

6,125

nice I had a feeling that was the problem,, glad you got it sorted out bro

6,125

could I get a best answer though ? lol