1994 3000gt Ls is leaking oil from leftside crank seal

15

Asked by Dec 27, 2014 at 03:39 PM about the 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

How to replace this seal?

124,055

Which seal is leaking? Crankshaft seal on drivers side? Lowest seal on that side of engine?

124,055

If that is the one then you got your work cut out for you. Might as well go ahead and plan on replacing the timing belt and water pump while your in there along with the idler pullies and all four cam shaft seals. Timing belt has to come off to replace the crankshaft seal. When buying your seals don't be tempted to buy the cheap ones on line go ahead and buy the good ones from your local auto parts store. Cause if you use the cheap ones you will be tearing it back down real soon to put better ones back in it.

15

Thanks for your quick response, dandyoun. It's leaking on the left side, hard to tell which one though. I'm just trying to get an idea what Im up against

124,055

Passenger side?

124,055

Ok you only have two crankshaft seals. One on drivers side which you will have to do as stated above. And one on passengers side which you will have to pull motor and trans together. Separate the trans remove clutch and flywheel to replace it.

15

Driver side. behind the balancer, maybe? hard to tell.

124,055

Now you have four cam shaft seals. All four are on drivers side and you will have to do as stated above (remove timing belt to replace). And four cam shaft end cap seals. All on passenger side.

124,055

Ok. That requires timing belt removal to replace it. Not hard to do but time consuming. Do your home work about how to replace timing belt. Because if you install it wrong you will bend valves. This will be a good time to do all timing pullies and water pump too.

Best Answer Mark helpful
15

Thanks very kindly dandyoun, for taking the time to reply. I appreciate this, and I'm sure not looking forward to this, but there it is!

124,055

If un sure might need to have a shop do the work. But if you mechanically inclined at all you should be able to handle it just do your home work first. And don't get in a hurry. There are some good sites that show step by step how to do this.

124,055

http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/timing-mark-pic-472560/ -- check out this thread. Has some pictures of what yours will look like when you get it all torn apart. This site will also have great resources for information on how to do all the work you will be doing.

124,055

Daniel Foster on here also knows these cars inside and out. Feel free to contact us if we can help with your up coming adventure.

15

1st of all, thanks again for your help so far. I should restate this issue I'm having though. I don't know for certain that it is the crank seal, cam seals, or where it's leaking from, so I'm hoping to find that it is something relatively simple to address. It's very difficult to see where it's leaking from, only thing I'm certain of is that its on the driver side. Could it be the oil psi sending unit? Where exactly is this unit? How would you approach this?

124,055

It's drivers side right behind the power steer pump. Is oil on outside of timing belt cover or coming out from under it? Also might want to look real close at the corners of the valve covers. If it was mine I would use an inspection mirror and try to figure if oil on outside or inside of timing belt cover. If inside I would remove everything in front of timing belt cover so I could remove the cover for inspection.