Having problems getting my 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL running. It keeps blowing the ECI fuse in the relay box. Any help appreciated

135

Asked by May 14, 2012 at 01:19 PM about the 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

Electrical problem

135

Ok, well here's the update. I found the problem. I cannot recommend doing it the way I did, but, after everything I tried, I got frustrated and did it the way I did. First I ran electrical checks to no avail. I pulled EVERY pin out of the ECU and tested it to no avail. finally I unplugged the cooling fans and put a 30A fuse in it and fried the wire to find the short which was in the "Cam Poition Sensor" where the wire leaves the sensor at the cam, it goes to a mounting bracket on the block then goes between the timing belt and the cam gear and mounts on the front cover. The bracket or clamp that holds it on the block makes a kink in the wire and that's where the wires were shorted. I had thought we had pulled the plugs for the Cam Position Sensor and the Crankshaft Position Sensor but I guess my helper didn't do as I asked and I think in retrospect that had that been done I would not have had to fry the wires. Do not think that any of the plugs at the Intake Manifold on the passenger side of the car, are connected to the Cam Position Sensor as they are not. You must pull the plug at the front cover on the driver side of the car. 4 months later I learn this. Oh well.