1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS - Car will start but immediately cuts off

Asked by Jul 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM about the 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS

Car will start but immediately cuts off unless I'm holding the gas peddle down
revving the engine..Thought it was the fuel filter but changed that and it
wasn't.. Fuel pump was changed 2 yrs ago.. Sorry if I have left out any info,
I'm new here but desperate to get my car fixed.

101,455

COULD BE THE PUMP IN NO GOOD AGAIN, CHECK THE PRESSURE AT THE RAILS.

Thanks! My dad was just saying yesterday he wanted to go buy a gauge to check the pressure. Whatever is the problem i want to make 100% sure before I go and spend the money

15

Okay these cars have a ton of little electric problems...if you have an animeter.../voltmeter...you want to start there ... the voltage form the battery should be a steady 12.68...or so....when the car is running it should be 14.68...or so this will fluctuate...if it is more than ... .4...then you need to look at the alternator.. .also ...you need to look at the grounds in the engine compartment....ha .this is fun..there are five ...one by each head lamp ...two on the fire wall ...one on the left (drivers side) strut tower ...one about 3" or so forward and below that...Google this it's on you tube ...how. to check for ground faults...so ....this is where you start.. the next thing is to check the idle control valve ..Google it ....hope this helps a little

15

Oh sorry your mass flow air sensor...check this .and clean it they sell cleaner for it ...this is also a common problem

Found the problem. Some electrical wires were touching a hot pipe or something and being melted. Now that's fixed, took it for inspection and failed cuz apparently there's a 3rd brake light in the spoiler (I had no idea) and it doesn't work. Oh, and the part is discontinued... Lol so close to selling this thing. The funny thing is I had forgotten about this post but googled "1996 mitsubishi eclipse rs spoiler" and my pic was the first image -h0ndagrrl81