REALLY loud squeal under hood on drivers side.

Asked by Oct 24, 2015 at 09:30 PM about the 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr STD Hatchback

Howdy!

I just bought a 1996 base auto 3000 GT, and I have only owned it for a couple
days, and I just got this we really really really loud squealing under the hood
on the driver side not ticking it's a really loud squealing. Sometimes it goes
away for a few seconds like when I stop at a stop sign and make a turn and
then when I'm going on the road it will come back. Can somebody please
help me?

Thanks!

65,605

Check your surpintine belt,and the idlers,if idlers are good check the power steering pump.

111,045

Agreed. Also check harmonic balancer. They are known for making this sort of sound too. Replace it if it's the issue. Also could be timing belt issue. Use caution driving like this till you figure out just what is making the sound. A piece of PVC pipe or hard vacuum hose will give you the ability to listen more closely around the belts.

145

I had all belts replaced. Timing and the two belts out out of the timing cove which operates the a/c alternator and power steering. When i turn on the a/c mine squeals on a cold start after hot it goes away. Prolly a cheap belt my mec put on. I noticed on the outter edges its fraying so i tightened it some more the noise went away but its back and i domt want to keep putting more tension on the belt to make it snap! Most generally belt noise is usually caused from either a mis aligned belt or a worn belt.