Replacing rod bearings

25

Asked by Mar 26, 2010 at 01:21 PM about the 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo AWD

I have a 97 gs-x that needs new rod bearings, If some one could give me a little insight on what the best steps are to take on replacing them to make my life a little more easy that would be great. thx

105

To be honest with you, it's going to be a lot of work, seriously. I would suggest buying an Haynes Manual for 2g-3g Eclipses. Including pulling the motor out and setting it on a stand. When you replace Rod bearings, you replace main caps as well also I suggest replacing the rods and crankshaft (and timing belt just in case). Disconnect and remove battery, battery tray, intake piping, only the "intercooler piping" over transmission including blow off valve. Remove speed sensor off transmission, should come off with a good twist. Disconnect clutch linkage or automatic transmission linkage to transmission. Jack up front end and put on jack stands. Unbolt cross-member underneath motor and transmission. Unbolt exhaust piping to turbo. rain ALL Motor and Trans Fluids be fore you start unbolting, including transfer case. Unbolt and remove the transfer case, "careful not to drop it", it should slide right out from the driveshaft. Remove the CV shafts from the transmission with an crow bar or long screwdriver. (With Automatic, Unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate keep TC connected to transmission always it's a biatch to get on if removed) Unbolt and remove the transmission, unbolt and remove the starter. Disconnect A/C lines. Vent A/C to atmosphere. (Don't worry that's a little you vent won't get you in trouble.) Cherry Pick the motor set on a motor stands. Unbolt and remove the flywheel and clutch assembly. Follow Haynes Manual for sequence to unbolt cylinder head. Remove the cylinder head. Flip motor upside-down. Unbolt and remove the oil pan. Follow Haynes Manual for Unbolting Sequence for rod and main caps. Remove the main and rod caps. Remove the crankshaft. Follow steps in reverse and remember to keep follow timing procedures.

After all that you wanna sand the journals very careful like youtube has a few videos using a shoelace confirming the same pressure not to oval it out and only if it's a little scratch .you gotta polish it like a mirror man ,AND then getting the exact measurement for replacer bearings .and torquing them back on is a job not to be taken lightly. New bolts are supposed to be put in,Very expensive for myself ,I also believe in miracles so ya. I did good lotta work it was still in my truck in the winter so i had to take consideration of temperatures and the cold cold steel .I was lucky there because ifound that when i bought they never change oil properly or? So the sreen on the pick -up tube was completely plugged bad! was good cause little bit s o metal did not get through that. I was my cahnging to a synthtic and adding some lucas went out on the higway must of reall cleaned it up good two days ltters they were staving for lube and got noisy bad and ceased the engine I was very very lucky I was a t a light in idle and just didn't push it overboard. you will do it if you have the drive to. And the satisfaction of a major repair. Just think it through and I just took my time learned a lot by the time i finished assembly lube threadlock and priming the oil pump. Really saved me too GOOD LUCK and God bless you.