I have a 97 Mitsubishi eclipse its been sitting at my garage for three months i start the car let it warm up then alot of smoke what can i do to make it stop

Asked by Nov 01, 2013 at 09:04 PM about the 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

6,585

what color is the smoke ?? if its white its water/coolant if its blue or gray its oil, and if its black its gas (running rich)

6,585

www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/01/what-does-the-smoke-from-my-exhaust-mean.html

123,855

Something else to think about. With it having set for a while the smoke could just be condensation that built up in the exhaust. If this the case it will clear up after a little driving. Exhaust must get good and hot to get it all out. Just today I brought a 94 stealth back to life after sitting for about three years. It smoked for ten minutes or so then cleared up. Now this is if its white smoke. Hope you have the same luck.

6,585

yeh probably from sitting like dandyoun state, if the car was fine when you parked it it should still be fine,, get some fresh gas in there asap like before you run much of that old gas through the system,, just fill up with some fresh gas will dilute the old stuff good enuff,,,, btw if the smoking doesn't clear up use that link I posted to help identify the problem,,,

123,855

Oh forgot to mention I added a can of sea foam to three quarters of a tank of fresh 93 octane gas.

6,585

I don't think he needs to do that for 3month gas,, but diluting it with a fill up of fresh would be nice though

But I still have half a tank of gas ...

overfilled the oil levels to high on the dipstick, its burning off, try running it with a tad less oil has been the problem on these eclipses