Electronics Problems

Asked by Sep 24, 2013 at 04:47 PM about the 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr VR-4 Turbo AWD Hatchback

I have a '97 3000GT VR4 that is possessed. Almost everything works fine as long as I don't lock the doors, use the FOB or set the alarm. If I make the mistake of locking the doors, the alarm will go off whenever it feels like, including while driving down the highway. The only way to shut the alarm up is to stop the car and shut it off, then get out and turn the key twice in the driver's door. Some people have told me that it's the body computer, but a website that rebuilds and sells body computers says my car doesn't come with one. The dealer has some $300 part that I can't remember the name of, but I don't want to waste $300 on a chance.

The computer that controls the alarm is the ETACs unit. It's located under the driverside dashboard, and can be the culprit of some very odd behavior. Replacing the ETACs unit with one from another 3000GT should help you figure out if your old one was the problem. You should be able to pick one up from a Pick-N-Pull for under $50.

Thanks Stealthify, I'll go find one and give it a shot.

Mine was a faulty hood switch. When switch makes and breaks contact with alarm armed the alarm will go off. Check to see if hood is fully depressing the switch. But it is unusual for your alarm to go off while car is running. That being said its liable to be another issue with yours.

Well, I'm not sure if my problem is getting better or worse. I neglected to mention that none of my interior lights work as they are supposed to. Whenever I shut the car off, the back lighting behind the electric window buttons turn on, on the drivers door only. The rest of the interior lights just don't turn on, however the map lights do operate with the small switches next to them. The dome light between the map lights never lights. Also the car would lock itself whenever it felt like until I stopped using the FOB and just never locked it. So, I purchased a used ETACs unit on ebay and installed it. So far the alarm has not gone off on it's own, but the interior lights still don't work although they do all come on for a few seconds upon using the FOB to unlock the doors. Also now the passenger electric lock refuses to work and I just replaced the electric actuator a couple months ago. Of course now the doors (well the driver's door anyway) is now locking itself again. The ebay seller states that the unit was tested and working perfectly in the listing. Anybody have any more ideas? I think I just have another bad ETACs unit because I don't think it's possible to properly test these units without a working vehicle.