How come nobody makes aftermarket headlights for 2nd gen 3000GT's?

35

Asked by Apr 07, 2013 at 08:44 PM about the 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr VR-4 Turbo AWD Hatchback

I just got a '97 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. It is in beautiful condition with only 52,000 miles. The only problem is the plastic lens covers over the headlights have peeling clear coat on them. While I am sure I can have a body shop work on these to get them shiny again, I would much rather have some aftermarket projectors. Maybe even some with LED accent lights or angel eyes, but I can't find a single one. I also have 2006 Dodge Ram. It doesn't need headlights, but there are over 50 different styles available. What Gives!

223,505

All about the money. No market, no need to make an aftermarket set. I found Mitsubishi only made 5850 3000gt's in 1997

35

Yes, but the headlights are the same for '94 thru '98 so if they made approximately the same number of cars each year the total would be around 30,000. While we know there were probably 10 times as many Dodge Rams made, I just wonder how many of those owners are interested in aftermarket projector headlights. It just seem to me that there is a great following for 3000GT's and I think a lot of these owners would be interested in this particular item. Also, there are tons of aftermarket carbon fiber hoods, front end conversions, spoilers and side marker lights for 3000GT's. I just think somebody's missing the boat.

5,885

you can always clean those up and reclear them and you can get angel eye and hids for the 2nd gens as well

5,885

the robo mod looks good too heres a link to a pic of the robo mod http://s269.photobucket.com/user/MK_94_3000GT/media/IMG_0222-2.jpg.html

35

Thanks Daniel, the robo mod looks pretty nice as well as the angel eyes. For now I guess I'll just have to clean them up and re clear them. It's just disappointing there isn't much out there in the way of headlights. From your icon I'm guessing you're a Dodge guy, here's my Ram

5,885

oh yeh love the dodge mopar cars , nice truck man pull some serious weight with that aye ;)

35

Oh yeah, it definitely pulls, where would you like your house moved? So what Mopar cars do you have? I have a '65 Coronet Convertible and a '72 Satellite/Roadrunner, but both need complete restorations. I had a '70 Challenger, but needed to sell it a few years ago cause money was tight. Here's a pic of my wife's car, it has a blower on it.

155

Welcome to the life of a no mod market. My saturn, yes i said saturn, has like no aftermarket parts for it so i have to get custom work done for it which is expensive :/

5,885

theres actually a lot of mods for the 3000gt and stealths.

55

Huge market for 3s series cars, 3si.org will help with that and for aftermarket performance 3sx.com

5,885

heres a great link http://www.ninjaperformance.com/

35

Thanks for the input. I'll check out those sources.

85

Pealing clear coats on headlights is common. Get some 2000 or 3000 grit sandpaper, mask off the surrounding paint and sand the reamaining clearcoat off. I always buy my paint at a car paint shop, get a spray can of clearcoat and spray your headlight covers like new. My 97 had the same problem.

10

I had the same problem and restored it this is what I did. Sand with 600 to remove all the old clear coat then 1000 and finally 1500. Go to your paint shop and get the clear coat that has the catalyst in it. It costs $21 for the can and must be used within 48 hrs. Do not use the cheap $7 clear coat. Most lights it will be ok but the lexan material of the 3000gt head lights does not like it. I have attached a photo of what mine look like after this process.

35

Wow xdave1003, you headlights look amazing. I will have to try that procedure sometime in the future. For now, I was able to find some glass headlights in Indonesia of all places. Bought them and had them shipped here. After installation they look great. Picture taken in garage doesn't really do them justice.

30

sorry don't have a better picture but the robo mod is about the closest your gonna get without paying out the ass for the bubble headlights and its easy to do. now if only we could do something about those tail lights lol.

10

It's called night shade

do you guys know if a '99 headlight unit will fit a '97 ?

I called the mitsubishi dealership and the lady said "yes" but it seem like she didn't know what she was talking about...I figured you guys would know

35

I'm fairly certain that they will fit. I was going to install '99's on my '97 but the only ones I could find were at that place in Cherry Hill, NJ and I seem to remember they wanted over $500 for each headlight. Not in my budget!

thanks.... I have the same year and color 300GT as you '97. I also have the same problem with the headlights! but thanks to your post now I know how to fix it. my 3000GT has been sitting in my garage for 4 years without starting it once.lol but nothing is wrong with it, just some paint touch ups..I'm just now about to start bringing it to back to life. has 94k miles on it. This pic is my goal, but I don't think I'll chance the spoiler. how do you think he got tires so close to the body? lowered it?

how many

50

Your guys lights turned out great, however I see they were black cars. I have a pearl white and I re did the lights once and never looked that good and they getting pretty bad again. Problem I have is the actual paint under the plastic has colored. Probably all the heat and sun in FL and AZ. I recently have found aftermarket angel eyes on eBay so I think they starting to make some. There are certain mods out there but not many since there were not many built in the 9 years of production and also that its been out of production for 15 years now. The estimate is there probably only around 50 to 75K left on road. Also fact that most were purchased back in the day as weekend type cars and not everyday cars, hence so many with low miles available, there for no need for fixing etc. I have over 270k miles on mine and it needs a lil help.