97 3000 gt what all should I change since head gasket blew

Asked by Aug 16, 2016 at 08:31 PM about the 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

My head gasket blew and I'm buying all the
parts what all should I buy

12,385

Purchase a "valve grind gasket set" when the heads are off why not have a standard 3 angle valve job done on them.. call around find out who has a SERDI machine I know its not a VR4 but still worth doing the heads. I don't know the vehicles mileage but be sure to inspect all the rotational components on the '97 161hp SOHC engine. Go through the cooling system of course.

145

My 91 did the same! Overheated badly Tore it down foumd oit the head gasket was blown! Bent valves but never felt any horsepower loss? Drove like a champ! But number 5 piston had a bad oil and coolant leak into cylinder. Common problem for first gen. If i where you, it be way cheaper to buy a good used motor with a warrenty. Unless you have a lot of knowledge about rebuilding a motor from scratch tons of tools and a obd scan tool to dial in the computer to make all the bells and whistles work properly again ...then i say go for it! Im fairly new to the gt family 2 years now. Lucky guesses for the 95 i found for a grand. So far i did the standard timing replacement water pump and crank sensor also changed the IAC & PTU car runs great! But like i said i have a coolant leak in this one i have now but it only burms oit the exhaust and you can smell the fluid from it but not severly strong. Burns oil too...what else do you expect from a sec gen 95? LoL these cars where meamt to beat the hekk out of...why stop now