'97 Ford Expedition XLT: Every now & then the door lock(s) go "nuts", it seems they are trying to "cycle", the knobs don't go up nor down but a "cycling" sound occurs in one or more of the door locks. Recently, all doors were doing it and I couldn't' manually unlock any of them. After a while, it stops and everything is OK.

Asked by Apr 07, 2015 at 07:20 PM about the 1997 Ford Expedition 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

'97 Ford Expedition XLT: Every now & then the door lock(s) go "nuts", it seems they are trying to "cycle", the knobs don't go up nor down but a "cycling" sound occurs in one or more of the door locks.  Recently, all doors were doing it and I couldn't' manually unlock any of them.  After a while, it stops and everything is OK.

7,600

wet switch or keypad for keyless entry? Problem with your remote(s) ? Wet inside ? Try to show it to the Ford service drive guys when acting up, or explain. They can search TSB's if they are unfamiliar. If it drives you nutty, you can unplug the master switch, but you have to get the thing up and out for access. see what they say.

7,600

spills into unlock switches can cause unwanted connections. then it dries, and... ? External key pads that are wet leaking in can have intermittant unexpected trippy flip. (some say, gem issues) wait for diagnosis. gem module. receiver antenna issues or harness chafing. TSB or SSM can be found but age of vehicle makes it not current. They keep the books for a long time, but ?

7,600

TSB and SSM are engineering discussions and fixes for known issues. They save time and prevent unnecessary part replacing. once you get their info, you can decide if you need to invest in a truck that many years old. a heater placed in the truck can help dry things if you have issues with the damp.