HEATER DOESN'T BLOW HOT. DOES IT HAVE A FUSE THAT NEEDS CHECKED?

185

Asked by Oct 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM about the 1997 Ford Expedition 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

61,265

It wont be a fuse doing this,it will be what is called a blend door actuator motor,that control,s heat to cool,it is located under the dash on top of the blower box.

61,265

pic2

61,265

It can be got to though the glove box,but is a hard job,and tite space.

185

IS THAT THE ONLY THING I SHOULD CHECK IS THE DOOR ACTUATOR? EVERYTHING ELSE SEEMS TO BE WORKING WELL. BOTH HEATER HOSES ARE HOT BUT I DONT THINK HOT ENOUGH

61,265

Yes,it will fix your issue.

295

I would first check the Antifreeze level to see that it is full and not low on coolant. This will cause poor flow to the heater coil which transfers the heat with a fan! Look for the white plastic container under the hood and see that it is full to the mark on the side usually Hot level and Cold Levels. It should say engine coolant on the cap or have a symbol you can check the manual for the location. I fill this from the radiator myself but if you do it that way you need to remove the radiator cap and when or if the motor is hot be careful use a towel and gloves and turn the cap half way first to release any pressure in the system. Or you could wait until the motor and radiator cools down. Note you should top off the antifreeze with 50/50 antifreeze your manual will have a recommended brand to use. So fill the radiator with the car running and make sure the vehicle is level and not on a steep hill unless it is pointing up hill. Questions: Do you hear the fan? Is there any heat at all in the truck? I have also had thermostats stick closed on other cars and trucks but usually the car will over heat when that happens. If those are all OK then I would check T_S_T's suggestion.

295

There is also a fuse for the heaters fan. So if you don't hear the fan running check the fuse too.

185

YES I HEAR THE FAN WORKING, THERMOSTAT CHECKED AND CHANGED, ANTIFREEZE IS ALL GOOD.

61,265

Annette,if heater hose,s are warm,there is heat to the heater core,it is not flipping over,check what i said,and you will 99.9%,fix your issue.

61,265

I know this,had to fix mine last year win it got cold,mine is a 1999 same as your,s.

295

I think T_S_T suggestion is what I would check next I always start with the cheaper fixes first sounds reasonable right? Only other thing I can think of beside the T_S_T's suggestion would be that the fresh air intact is blocked by the door or other items, and there is also a reticulation feature also controlled by the blend door actuator. You said you hear the fan but does it feel like it is blowing the way it did when you first bought the truck? If not the blend door could be the answer....

4,745

It is possible that on a 15 year old car the heater core may be plugged and not allowing enough water to heat it properly.

310

Why is my heat not getting hot in my 2000 ford expedition

350

Mine does blow cold air but the heater doesn't work anybody know how to make it work?

220

Mine gets a little warm but not enough to keep warm in cold weather

160

Hi i actually have the same problem on my 2003 ford expedition EB I change the actuator but problem is still there, i have just a warm temperature but not hot how it suppose to ut get a bit hot when i acelerate but when its in park it comes to a warm or even just fan i dont know what else to do but whe i was chaning the actuator i got a allen wranch and stick it where actuator goes and turn it and heat came out so im a bit confuse and dont know what to do can any one give me an idea what to do next thanks.

40

How long does it take get it all out

90

Where is outside fresh air door located for the hyacinth system on 1997 expiation?

60

hi i have changed that actuator but the passenger blows warm air and driver side blows cold air im not sure what else to do

4,745

Are you talking blowing hot out of floor vents or dash vents? The same actuator controls the flapper so it would not have any way to split the system. It may be a plugged heater core.

290

Where is this actuator motor located

290

How do you get this actuator out, pull straight out it twist it out or what. Evertyping else is fine. I have to check out this motor but to get it out. 0

100

Over the last week I feel like I read every forum on expeditions and watched a ton of you tube videos. They helped me get mine back to 100 % after a spark plug blew then was over heating and did not have heat for over two years.. After changing the water pump that showed no systems of being bad I found the impellers were worn away. after changing the heat started to work again also. Hope this helps someone

40

I have a 99 expy with 152700 miles. Heat has been a problem since I bought. The heater core had been leaking and previous owner put stop leak in it then unloaded on me. I had it replaced and new door installed. Heat comes and goes and rear doesn't work at all. Has a new motor craft tstat. It's driving me crazy. Could it be water pump? They flushed system real good to get stop leak out. Any HELP?

100

I am by no means a mechanic but if you look at the blades on my water pump they were worn away so no fluid was being pushed through heater core and if your water pump is original it would be a year older than mine. If you watch the you tube video and borrow the fan puller tool from local auto store it is a 30 minute job and fairly cheap part.Its worth a shot. Just my 2 cents