can i install a vr4 engine to a coupe mitsubishi 3000gt

10

Asked by Mar 19, 2013 at 02:01 PM about the 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr STD Hatchback

All models of the VR-4s used a 3.0 L V-6 engine, and A 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT will accept a 3.0 Liter V6 DOHC 24 valve FI engine

101,705

Yes it will bolt right up. But if you intend to keep the twin turbo on the vr- 4 engine you will need to change the electronics out also. You will also need to do some mods to get the inter cooler in the front grill. If not planning to keep it a turbo use exhaust and intake manifold off the other motor. Doing this your old electronics should work fine.

10

does the automatic transmission fit on the vr4 engine

101,705

Yes. It will bolt right up.

55

the bolt spacing is the same however if you plan on using the VR4 motor in a NA application the lower compression is going to rob you of power because it isnt going to get the air it was designed for. To accomidate for that you'ld either have to run the turbos and do a lot of wiring to utilize the VR4 computer or change the pistons which would make it easier to rebuild your NA block or get another. Also the automatics in the NA cars were not designed to handle the power from the turbo motor so be prepared to rebuild that before too long or swap in a manual.

101,705

James is correct about the lower compression of the vr4 motor. It is an 8:1 and the stock NA motor is 10:1. Sorry I over looked that in my earlier posts. There will definitely be a difference in the performance. Not to sure how noticeable it would be. But I would not put the vr4 in my sl without using the turbos. As he stated major mods to get it to perform correctly using the turbos in your sl but not impossible. And the increase in power would be fun to drive. Ps. James. Good looking spyder.

45

I have a 92 non turbo sl and thinking about droping a twin turbo vr4 engine in it. Everything should match up right? There both 3.0 24 valve doc engines. I'm aware I'd have to change computers out also I just want to make sure it will bolt up because I just got a brand new transmission for it. Thank you for your time

101,705

Yes it will bolt up to everything. But you will have to do some mods for the inner cooler. But should not be all that hard to do.

45

Alright thank you again dandy if you can help do you have a idea of which computers I'd have to change to swap to the twin turbo engine and which ones I should be able to leave alone bease these 3000gt have like 4 main computers 2 of them work the abs and drive control I think tho

5

anybody have some sensors for a 1991 non-turbo. I need a maf and any other ones.

Sorry I know It may not be worth the work but will a 91-92 vr4 engine be compatible for my 95 3000gt base ?

I have a94 mitsubishi 3000gt sl hatchback 2dr, v6, 3.0, 24 valves, 5 speed,rebuilt motor 90xxxmiles , stage 2 clutch, J&e racing pistons, aftermarket cams, biger intake from the vr4 cold air intake, full exhaust system, what Specifically parts I need to hook up a twin turbo into my car or if I can do that

Besides the ecu do I need to change any other electronic parts to make the vr4 work in the sl some one has done all the hard work but it won't start now

101,705

What year engine? And what year car? Does it have the two in one cam/crank position sensor on the passenger side of back head or does it have the separate sensors under the timing belt cover?

45

It's a 92 sl it's got the single crankshaft on the passenger side which I just changet trying to fix the no starting issue but didn't help at all.

45

I found a tt vr4 engine with the ecu and awd drive transmission rebuilt for 3000 that I was going to put in and run my 5 speed fwd transmission till it goes out. I just ain't got the money to fix it now so trying to get plans together

Can i use a 91 vr4 doner car and make a 99 base into a vr4 i have two shells and a doner car just need to know befor i buy the doner to make a vr4 99 cause there to rare to bye

I have a 1997 mitsubishi 3000gt base with a 3.0 sohc and I am wabring to swap it with a vr4 engine and trans

Wanting

10

I have a 95 base model. I'm wondering if the 92 vr4 motor and transmission and drive shaft will fit because the vr4 is all wheel drive but mines front wheel drive. There both manuals

I have a 1994 sl n i swap a 1993 jdm vr4 twin turbo everything is ready but i need a adapter for my harness any idea i can find one

I have a 95 sl and I was wondering of i can keep my block and put turbo's to tht. Will my internals hold up?

What all would I have to do to turbo my 1994 3.0 DOHC automatic

I know make room for intercooler tap into sump and get turbo exhaust manifold but do I have to do any internal work??

I have a base model 1997. Can i twin turbo that? and if i can what all is needed to make it work?