TCL error code 12 after a clutch replacement?

10

Asked by Jul 25, 2012 at 05:41 AM about the 1998 Mitsubishi Galant LS

I had a Mitsubishi Galant V6 -98 which skidded on the clutch.
I engaged a repair workshop for clutch replacement and spark plugs replacement, plus any gland, which would be replaced. When I drove the car to the repair workshop I had no problem to move into a higher gear. Then the problem was just that it skidded on the clutch so that I must be feather-light on the gas.
After the workshop changed the clutch and spark plugs they call me and say that the car is extremely slow and can’t move into a higher gear. They ask me if I had any problems with this before and I tell them that I have not had any such problems. I point out to them that the car had been standing still for some weeks and then perhaps this is the cause.

The car then returned to an authorized Mitsubishi service center for troubleshooting, with computer I assume. They told me after a while that the trottle sensor is bad and must be changed with a new one, but still the same error remains. Then they found another sensor that must be replaced. After that they replaced the whole control box, but the problem persists. TCL-error code 12 is valid and the engine revolution speed is maximized to 1800 rpm, even in stand-still position.
So far, I then have spent lots of money to get the car in driving condition.
I am skeptical as the above changing of sensors hasn’t solved the problem. So I am in desperate need of HELP.
My idea is that the clutch replacement has caused the problem.
Can incorrect use of clutch, faulty spark plugs, faulty cable connections to the spark plugs, faulty fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, etc. be the cause..

242,015

Can you clarify what error code 12 is? 98 vehicles used OBDii codes which are 4 digit. Going no higher than 1800 means your in limp mode. It could be any number of things as you found out. Maybe even a wiring issue or vacuum line.

10

TCL error code 12 : Circuit for the gas pedal position sensor or circuit for gas trottle position sensor, see page 13H-6 in the error seaking manual. All sensors have been replaced but still the error occurs.

242,015

OK that makes sense that the throttle position sensor is causing the issue, so if the sensor was replaced, then I'd say somehow the PCM is not getting the correct signal, so the wiring is suspect from the sensor to the PCM. Might be a cut in the wiring harness?

242,015

or bad ground, so something got moved around when they did the initial work.