Why is my exhaust system overheating?

Asked by Jul 26, 2013 at 04:41 PM about the 1998 Mitsubishi Galant ES

I have a "98 Mitsubishi Galant. The engine and  transmission have been rebuilt. The car runs, but the exhaust system glows red hot. The entire exhaust system was replaced, including the catalytic converter, but it still over heats. What could be causing this and how do I fix it?

111,155

Double check your engine timing. Also check the cat converter. With it getting that hot it might be damaged now adding to the problem.

10

HELLO, THE REASON WHEY YOUR WXHAUST IS GLOWING IS YOUR IN NEED OF A TUNE UP THE EXHAUST GLOWS BECASUE THERE IS UNBURNED FUEL IN THE EXHAUST. YOU HAVE A MAJOR SKIP OR MISFIRE IN THE ENGINE. IF THIS PROBLEM IS NOT ATTENDED TO SOON YOU WILL BE PUTTING ANOTHER CONVERTER ON YOUR VEHICLE.. FUEL WILL SURELY BRAKE YOUR CONVERTER DONE AND IT WILL CLOG.

145

Egr valve recycles unburnt gases from your emmisions back into your engine. I had a issue with my 84 firebird and from the o2 sensors and egr it made my cats and exhaust run hot! Replaced the cats and egr along with a tune up and the overheating and crappy idle was fixed!