Won't crank

Asked by May 23, 2016 at 08:41 PM about the 1997 Ford Expedition 4 Dr Eddie Bauer 4WD SUV

I just bought a used  97 ford expidition from
you guessed it craigslist. Owner lost keys
had to drill out the lock sylinder  got a new
one some one else tryed before me broke
every thing the ring the little fradgle peace  
under the chip ring  I pulled the steering
column to fix the actuater rod now when I
put it back together with a new theft ring  
new fragile peice  new lock cylinder what do
I do to get it started.

12,375

No RFID (chip) key when you bought it that mean unless you have the right electronic gear expect to pay a $200 fee for accessing the EECIV computer and coding a key.

260

go to the dealer, show them your title or proof of ownership and they would make you a new key. Some things are not worth messing around with, trust me on this.

5,165

Did you check the VIN number to make sure it is not stolen? Sounds fishy to me. It must have been real cheap, right? Craigs list has many good clean cars on it but there are crooks everywhere. I hope for your sake the car is not stolen or has a salvage title. How did you start the car to check it out?

5,165

Speaking of Craigs list... I was burned by a contractor a couple of years ago and since then, I do the following; 1. take a picture of the person. If they object I tell them why and if they still object I leave. 2. I take a picture of their car and if at there home, a picture of it too. I copy the ad and keep it with the pictures. It paid off when a plumber tried to rip me and when I wanted to take his picture, he jumped in his car a sped off but not before I got a pic of the license. Called a buddy on the police force and they ran him down. Turned out he was wanted for fraud.