Electrical Problem

10

Asked by Aug 10, 2011 at 03:31 PM about the 1999 Mitsubishi Galant ES

I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Galant. Recently it would not start when I was leaving for work, when the car was jumped the car started but the next day it did it again. So therefor I went out and bought a new battery. When I put the new battery in the car started right up but the interior lights, dashboard lights, automatic locks and radio/dvd player do not work. Also the AC/heat and headlights will work even if there is no key in the ignition. ThI went to get the alternator tested and the guy said that he couldn't test it because my BRAND NEW battery is too dead. So something is draining my battery. I have tried numerous things to avail.

Is there a fuse that I missed or could it be an actual wire problem?
Let me know what you think.
Steven

135

first before you spend more money on parts have a voltage test done before and after the alternator and were power goes to the fuse boxes. second make sure your engine and battery are grounded correctly. third clean all wires grounded and power wires are tightly attached. Also have your alternator and starter tested. if your voltages are off you may have a short. remember the more thing in your car the more power that is used. if the A/C is used that draws more power. also if you have a custom audio system make sure your battery and alternator can handle the power draw.

10

I replaced a couple fuses and that fixed my interior lights not working but my A/C, headlights and power windows will still work even if there is no key in the ignition. The car has started up fine the past couple days but I want to make sure this is not draining my battery. I got everything tested and everything came out good. So what do you think? I would like to get it fixed no matter what. And also my car won't start if I try to use the remote start.

10

I don't know much about cars to help with all the issues, and besides, this was years ago so I'm sure the situation is either solved, or the car is gone...but just in case... When we replaced our car's battery, it caused problems with our radio/DVD player, too. We had to input a code. I think we needed to call a number or go to a Mitsubishi dealership or something to get that fixed. (I typically automatically turn the headlights off with the switch that, for me, is located on the left side, opposite of the windshield wiper feature).

Did you figure out why stuff works without key? Or why battery was dead-we are experiencing same problem now. Thanks soooo much for help, we are really frustrated!