my 1997 escort check engine light flashes after 3-6 miles, code-P0304,#4cly mis-fire. I pull over stop engine ,waitue for the next few miles until it flashes again. 10 minutes and contin

15

Asked by Jul 25, 2016 at 12:52 PM about the 1997 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Wagon

( my current condition)my 1997 escort check engine light flashes after 3-6
miles, code-P0304,#4cly misfire. I pull over,stop the engine,wait10 minutes,
then continue for the next few miles, until it flashes again.
(my most recent repairs)  
I recently overheated by forgetting to replace radiator cap! I know how
stupid. So, I changed oil,coolant, and radiator flush,thermostat,temp sensor,
cooling fan sensor,spark plugs, wires. and still I have a misfire in cly #4.
is it a coil pack, a blown head gasket, timing belt(long overdue to be
changed) or something else? I am only a fairly good parts changer, I am so,
not a mechanic!

237,255

I'd start with the easy stuff and replace the spark plugs and wires . How many miles on the current ones? If over 60K, swap all of them out and not just #4. See if it goes away. If not then perform a cylinder pressure test to determine a head gasket issue.

95

Had a similar issue with my Mazda- replace the coil pack ASAP or you might ruin your catalytic convertor.

Best Answer
15

After replacing everything I listed in my question, your answer was, in fact, the reason for the misfire! Being on a low budget, I went to pick and pull to find one for 14.00$. I looked through every Escort there (at least 100) and not one 1997 2.0 engine . so I had to get a new part!! I remember the same feeling buying a new car! How times change! thank you for your reply and answer. Bro that is an ugly ass picture! no disrespect, just saying. If that is what you look like, I am sorry...about your luck! Just kidding