white smoke

Asked by Oct 12, 2008 at 10:39 AM about the 2000 Mitsubishi Galant LS

white smoke coming from my exhaust its stopping me from getting tag could you tell me what the problem is.

670

I might be a tad bit of oil buning. Do you have a turbo? It may be blowing by a little oil.

8,375

white smoke? You sure it's not a blueish color(oil)? White smoke is generally water vapor, alot of it means coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber, usually from a bad head gasket, but your coolant level would be low and you'd have loss of power, so you should know if it's that. Without seeing it I can't really start to diagnose it properly...

Best Answer

hi adam4753 it could be a bad head gasket but i'm not losing power and i'm sure its white smoke but i'll check again moisture coming from tail pipe also could it possibly be somthing else if not i'll go with your reply thanx...

85

if it is coolant your exhaust will have a somewhat sweet smell to it. if its oil it will be more blue. if its an oil leak, it could be a common valve cover gasket, the o-rings go bad, and cause problems. i have had this related problem with eclipses.

115

Also to know for sure if its a blown head gasket check the oil, it may be a light brown (if you caught it in time) if not it will be more of a whiter colour, then you have problems.

130

Just because you haven't noticed a loss of power doesn't mean it's not a leaking head gasket. it only take a little bit of water in combustion chamber to create alot of white smoke.

185

may be anifreeze