When key is off I have no power to anything.

10

Asked by Sep 15, 2014 at 08:29 AM about the 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES

I have a 2000 mitsubishi galant with a 2.4.
When I shut the key off I lose the memory in
my computer and my radio says code when
turned back on. With the key off I have no
lights, chimes, locks. I checked and all
fumes are good. What am I missing.

34,165

I know you have checked the fuse,because this is obviously a electrical problem, but what about the relays. Any CEL lights on?

10

It doesn't have a cel when it's running. And I didn't know if there were any relays that would affect there being power with the key off.

34,165

The memory for the radio requires a small amount of electricity to remember the presets and the time. Are you losing any other features when you shut it off?

34,165

Dose the dome light come on where you open the door?

10

Tge radio says code when i start the car. This happens when you disconnect the battery but it does it to me when i shut the car off and no there's no dome light that comes on. The hazards won't work either with the key off.

34,165

Ok. Not that it's "good good" but it's a help. I'm wounding if those items are on a singles fuse or relay. Can you see if you have brake lights. Sometimes auto manufacturers put obvious things like the radio AND break lights on the same circuit so you know when the fuse is blown. I'm just speculating about the brake lights but its worth a shot.

10

Ok just to clarify I'm not worried about the radio I was just using as an example of the lack of power. My computer stores driving data to set the idle of the car. That's what I'm losing every time I shut off my car because there is no power with the key off. Every time I start the car it idles rough and dies unless I drive for awhile then it will run fine at lights and in traffic. But as soon as I shut it off..... back to square one with bad idle and dying.

I have a 1999 Galant with the exact same problem. Billy, did you ever get an answer or get your car fixed?

I got The same problem with my 03 ggalant thinking about the relay but I don't know where thinking about the relay but I don't know where it is it is all fuses are good because they work when the key is on

Fuses in your engine compartment it's fuse 22 and 23 and that will fix your problem