I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant GTS the RPM's drop real low and then it will call I have to wait a few minutes for it to start again it acts like its not getting in gas put a new fuel pump new fuel filter what could be happening

40

Asked by Oct 13, 2013 at 08:08 AM about the 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES

RPM's drop below 1 cuts off new fuel pump new
fuel filter

6,015

any check engine lights?

40

Yes

6,015

well can you drive it at all ?

40

Yes, probably about a mile before it actually cuts off , but the whole time it is tring to shut off.It will start up and and sit and run but when I try to go it hesitates then cuts off but will start right back up but each time gets worse and does not stay running as long.

6,015

well can you make to a parts store and get it scanned ?? they do it for free at advance auto auto zone O'Reilly's etc just take your time getting there,,, take some cds and shit and be patient if you have to, less you have the money to buy a scanner but least if you get there and they say its this sensor then more than likely you could just buy and install it right there

6,015

sorta sounds like it might be a dirty fuel filter though,,, sometimes they get crap clogging up the filter and its fine til it really gets clogged up then when you let it sit all that crap sorta settles out of the way til your run it again, but sorta also thinking sensor of some sort

6,015

actually they sell the scanners at advance auto pretty cheap http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_3020-obd-ii-can-scan-tool-innova_10181921-p?searchTerm=scanner

40

Code p0142 small emission leak

6,015

WOW you got that answer pretty fast, did you drive it to the parts store and get it scanned or something?

6,015

well you either have a •Bad O2 sensor •Signal shorted to voltage (bad O2 sensor) •Wiring problems due to contact with exhaust components •Holes in exhaust near O2 sensor

6,015

then another site says this - Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 3 - Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 3 harness is open or shorted - Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 3 circuit poor electrical connection read more at http://engine-codes.com/p0142.html#ixzz2hjcvodbI

6,015

so if you don't have an exhaust leak you have a bad oxygen sensor,,, jack the car up and up it on jack stands and look and listen for exhaust leaks then if you cant find any its more than likely the oxygen sensor

6,015

actually now that I reread your original post Im putting my money on the O2 sensor cause I forgot that your said that it starts right back up but each time gets worse and does not stay running as long.

Best Answer
40

Code p0142 small emission leak

40

Yes where is located

40

where is the o2 sensor located on my car and which one is it

6,015

ill try n find a diagram of the O2 sensors but they are located on your exhaust though

6,015

ok from what I can find out Bank1 sensor 3 is the very last sensor in the exhaust. so work from the back to the front and its going to be the first one you can find

40

It wasn't the o2 sensor or mass air flow still not fixed...any more suggestions.

6,015

have you checked for exhuast leaks?

It sounds clearly like the fuel pump is giving out!