I have a 2.4 ltr engine in my 3rd gen. eclipse. I was wondering what all would i need to swap in a 3.0 ltr engine?

Asked by Apr 11, 2010 at 11:18 AM about the 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS

Im not for sure, im working on doing the same to mine. I've been doing some research and where the engine sits down in looks to be about the same (where the radiator hoses and water bottle all sit etc.) But im not sure the motor mounts are. i've got a 5spd so i'd have to prob change the tranny too.

25

might not like this suggestion, but its gonna be easier to buy a V6 car vs swapping in - especially if you need to ask that question.....

105

Dude, swap an EVO 8 head on there, and slap a turbo and tune the car. You'll get more power and torque than the V6. Check out club3G.com (they have info for the EVO 8, Kia optima, hyundai sonata, head swap and people on there have put a turbo on a car) chitowndsm.com (some guy has already done the swap and can give you pointers also this guy's 3G is AWD)

5

I agree with the Evo 8 head. Just doing that will make it better then the 3.0. And yes also turbo that shit and tune the hell out of it. you can mae that thing look and sound so sick with that motor.

105

Also you can even build on the 2.4, because some DSMers use the 2.4 block ALOT. If your Auto, STAY AUTO, just install a high stall torque converter after you do the EVO head, turbo and tune, then you're good to go. If your stick, they have some decent 1600 lb pressure plate and clutch discs, NOT the spring-less disc where you can barely get out of the garage unless you dump the clutch. I would probably stay away from 2600 lb, I don't know if Shepard Trans sell clutch forks for that 3Gen. They tend to break with that much pressure on 1Gs and 2Gs.

25

I wouldn't stay auto. Its very doubt full that the same trans is going to hold up to double the power. Along with the heat that a high stall converter creates (even with an external cooler). Just make it a clutch car man. The auto will fail trust me.

105

idk so, The transmission isn't made of glass, lol. It's made of Aluminum, which dissipates heat pretty quickly, even if someone were to do a burnout the transmission would survive, but the Torque converter probably won't, lol. If that was the case, the DSM auto trans stock wouldn't be strong enough for anything especially the ones that are built for 500FWHP. I saw with my own eyes, an Chrysler minivan transmission spin at 178 mph, stock, lol. That was at UTI in Glendale Heights. And the transmission survived, the only messed up part was when the instructor downshift the from 4th to 3rd and you can see smoke come from it, lol.

35

Yeah you would need to swap the tranny too pretty sure

would a four cylinder PT Cruiser go in a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse with a v6

the cruiser has a four-cylinder the Mitsubishi Eclipse has a v6 will it go in the Mitsubishi Eclipse

could you swap a 2005 mustang v6 5 speed manual into a 2000 3rd gen eclipse 5 speed manual

its the 4 cylinder model gs