1997 Ford Escort sport engine dies when making sharp turn while AC is on. Any idea what could cause this?

20

Asked by Jul 27, 2016 at 08:44 PM about the 1997 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Sedan

Just replaced the spark plugs and wires because of a misfire in cylinder #2. I
am not a car person so I have no idea if this could have caused it and I did
not drive it before I fixed it today.

20

I should rephrase this to say that it stalls because everything comes back on immediately and the car does start right back up without a problem.

I have been having the same problem with my 1999 Ford Escort ZX2. We have replaced the spark plugs, wires, coil pack, CCRM, and have done multiple fuel injection cleaners to gas. It still does exactly what you are talking about. It will run ok for a little while with AC on, then idles rough, hesitates and then stalls out. It will restart right back up but must have AC off and may only go a short distance before doing again. When it cools down for a while, it will do ok but then start all over again when hot and especially if AC on. Did you have any luck finding out what is causing the problem?

20

I had heard that it is probably because of the power steering. The AC draws a lot of power from the engine so when you are making sharp turns the combination of power steering and the ac is too much for it to handle. I haven't had it come up as frequently now that I have had the car for a bit, but I try not to use the AC much because the car runs a little weird when I do.