8g manual transmission swap

45

Asked by May 27, 2009 at 03:37 PM about the 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES

I've been looking into swapping a manual transmission into my galant (2001 ES) and was wondering if anyone had anyone experience with this or could lend me some advice about it. I had planned on taking the transmission from a 00-05 Hyundai Sonata as I heard the parts are compatible from multiple people- but only one had actually done it. Any input is appreciated, thanks guys!

505

The transmission you really want is from a 2000 to 2005 Eclipse. The transmissions vary between I4 and V6. I'm assuming you have the 4G64 so go with a transmission from an Eclipse RS or GS.

45

I considered it but a swap like that is upwards of $2k and for that price Id rather just get a turbo setup, I've heard of plenty of slushbox galants with solid 250whp/250tq with a turbo setup. My only interest in the sonata tranny is that it's only about $400-$600 for the tranny and engine and im fairly sure the sonatas a 4g64 DOHC. Figured I could save myself the $1.5k

505

It would only be upwards of 2k if you have to pay somebody to do it, and/or if you needed a lightweight flywheel and upgraded clutch. Sure auto Galants have pushed 250whp/250wtq, but the power would be much more efficient if put through the Mitsu 5-speed. And suppose you do save yourself the 1.5k you speak of doing the Sonata swap... What do you gain? Your SOHC 4G64 makes 145hp at the crank. The DOHC 4G64-equipped Sonatas made 138hp at the crank from 1999-2001, and 149hp at the crank from 2002-2005. Realistically at this point you should really just consider getting the car ready for the extra power you eventually may get to, by installing an upgraded suspension or brakes. KSport makes a great set of full coilovers, as well as their big brake kit. Otherwise, there is also the option to use the Brembo setup from an Evo.

45

All the estimates I had been told, from mechanics to people on forums who have done the swap said it was $2k at least, I could get everything installed for cheap(hopefully) I simply have to get the parts. I had already planned on getting the K-sport coilovers actually lol heard only good things about them. Also get rear disc brakes and a swaybar.. all that good stuff, possibly a CAI and better exhaust manifold and obviously manual transmission. I'm planning on turboing it down the road so I figured I'd get all that done first. Which lead me to the transmission question.. which someone has just answered for me. The swap does work apparently, the transmission was used from a 2002 Sonata.

505

Well, overall it seems you're on the right track. But something I would suggest since you're going turbo eventually would be not to waste your money on a CAI and header, since when you go turbo those parts will be irrelevant. And honestly with those parts you would probably only gain about 5-10whp. Just an idea to consider.

45

Yeah, only reason I was going for a new header and CAI is simply to have a solid 150whp/150tq while I prepped the G to be turbo.

505

I hate to burst your bubble, but you won't ever see over 100whp on a 4G64 with just an intake, header, and exhaust.

45

I agree completly. My main concern at the moment is really getting all the power I can out of the stock 4g64 to the wheels before I even start changing out stock parts on the engine. Still have to get those Ksports and some body work done, gotta quit puttin this off.

45

Oh and I wasn't really leaning towards the whole CAI/Header/Exhaust business as it would just make my car sound like a fart cannon thats pulling 95 to the wheels.. hah. And from my understanding the stock internals for the exhaust have ample room for the 64 to breath so getting racing headers is really not even worth the money as I would see little if none in gains.

245

Well you should use the eclipse tranny... we, over at the galant center, found out that the Hyundai tranny doesn't really work... easily, i think the shifter cables are different or something. I have done the manual swap on the 8 g with the eclipse transmission, and i love it! Use an eclipse tranny, the eclipse goes to 2005 i believe. It is well worth the money. The car is much, i mean a ton quicker, more responsive and of course fun. It's not to bad of a swap but you do have to pay close attention to what parts you use...you have to use the 3g eclipse flywheel, 2g eclipse/talon clutch and starter, spaced by an 1/8" washer, 3 g tranny mount etc. If you have any questions feel free to message me, I also have done a turbo, evo ecu and am working on evo brembo's... so ask me any 8g questions you have.

245

Honestly if you don't go all out and do all or most the labor yourself you can do the swap for 1500 dollars. I did all my labor and i did it for about 1800 dollars with a fidanza flywheel and an act clutch and pressure plate. If you use the stock parts you can def get it done for cheap. The hyundai one will cost more in custom fabrication. and don't do exhaust, headers, etc. Its a waste of money if anything you actually lose torque with the lack of backpressure. I had a custom 3" mandrel bent system on my car and I lost torque due to the lack of backpressure but i didn't matter because at the time I was prepping my car for the turbo, which spools up faster with less backpressure.

5

Hi Rishi75, can you please let me know a way that I can contact you so that I can get more detail on how to do the trany swap on a 8g Galant GTZ as I am trying to do this. Thank you very much.

Would that tranny work for an 02' Galant v6 3.0?

10

i am going to swap my 2002 galant es 4 clinder transmission to a manual can you give me a list of the parts i need to get thnanks

245

Ya go ahead and email me at patelris@ku.edu and i should be able to help you out.

115

Hey, can I get that parts list too? Looking to switch my 2000 Galant DE 2.4L to manual.

10

does an eclipse v6 manual transmission fit into a 2001 gtz?

10

What would I wanna use on a 2007 galant... I want manual, but don't wanna waste money or time

30

I have a 2009 galant and want to make it manual. What transmission would you recommend for the swap

were can i get a 5 speed eclipse trans sit up for my galant