Car won't start new battery was turning over but did not start now starter is just ticking ????

10

Asked by Dec 11, 2014 at 02:49 PM about the 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

4,805

Wore the battery down? Some batteries sit on the shelves for a while and they can wear down quickly. It's good I'm sure, just needs a good charge

10

Dude I just got this battery the other one was bad but kinda did the same thing when I take the power off the starter my lights are realy bright and everything and when my battery was fully charged it'd crank over but not start even with starting fluid it acts like it wants to catch but doesn't I checked the spark plugs they work fine idk

10

And idk if its possible that the starter would somehow prevent it from starting maybe its not pulling the engine fast enough idk

105

Try checking your alternator. just a thought

4,805

If you're spinning the engine and it's not starting it's either ignition or fuel delivery. The fun part is deciding which way to look first.

10

I know man thats what I've been debating but I did use starting fluid it'd start off that and would the alternator keep it from starting possibly

4,805

I'd pull a spark plug and check it to see if it's wet from flooding. That would take care of the fuel delivery.... for a minute. You can leave the wire on the plug and put the side of the plug against a metal part of the engine and have someone tap the starter to see if the plug is firing. Naturally be careful because you don't want to ground yourself. If you have fire, then you go back to fuel delivery, is it getting too much fuel? Fuel regulator?

105

The alternator is responsible for keeping the battery of a car charged. When the alternator goes out, the battery dies. If the car requires a jump after it stops running, the alternator is most likely the problem. When the battery is the problem, there is a clicking sound when the car is turned over. It could be fuel pump is going out, fuel line is blocked, you should try to push down on the gas pedal when the car begins to die. If this does not stop the car from dying, this indicates there is a problem with fuel delivery.The ignition wires could be frayed, the timing may need to be adjusted, or the fuel filter may also need to be cleaned.

10

I've tested the spark plug and it doesnt start jus turns over

30

It's the crankshaft position sensor.thats located in your timing area. Now I'm having another problem. I have a 2001 eclipse gs it starts but dies at idle.

30

10

Did u change cam sensor my exclusive did same thing and that's what it was

10

So I have a similar problem my car won't start I can't figure out the problem I made a video starting the car maybe u guys can take a look at it and find out where should i start looking for the problem http://youtu.be/onQW8OCDv5M

my sisters 02 eclipse wont start either. i havent checked if its getting fuel because it was just running the other day no problem, once we tried to get it start again it just wouldnt. it cranks over but just wont completely start. what would be the cheapest thing to work with first? shes working with low funds so were gonna try and start there.

and on top of that, she had on 02 sensor that i just replaced this morning that was pretty bad. i had to do the sway bar links, b rakes, rotors, completely replace two brake lines and had to flare them myself. but all that is good and up to date. just cant get it to start now and its starting to get irritating.

10

Okay so im having a similar issue i did the diagnostic test it gave me a camshaft position sensor code. Changed that along with the crankshaft position sensor. Even put a new battery and it still wont start. Cranks over but wont start even with starter fluid.

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse I think somebody tampered with the fuel changed gas New filter cleaned injectors still wont start with starting fluid dont know where to turn please help Glen

Glen is looking for help on a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse so if you have time and knowledge I would appreciate it very much.