What oil and filter should I use?

Asked by Jul 27, 2013 at 06:13 PM about the 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

What oil and filter should I use with my 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse with 125,000 miles?  
Does it madder if I get cheap oil and a filter? What do you recommend?

24,685

Cars don't get mad..they just get even! and...break down on ya in the middle of the night on a busy highway..in 20 degree weather. Fun stuff like that, ya know! But to answer your question, I'd suggest a good quality high mileage oil...Mobil 1,Valvoline and Castrol make good ones, IMO...they are Full Synthetic Oils, by the way. As far as oil filter, stick with a quality name like Fram, and you should be just fine.

5,815

ive always went with Castrol gtx high mileage oil and wix is an excellent filter, ive seen and heard too many bad things about fram to ever use one on my car

24,685

I kinda expected someone would come along and denounce Fram filters...it is moderately priced and sold at Pep Boys (which may tell you something right there), but by NO means the top of the line. I have used them and personally never had issues with their performance...but I have seen the gearheads on the hardcore car enthusiasts forums recommend Wix...so perhaps you should try this one instead. Git R Done, bender1227....I'm out :)

5,815

well don't get all bent about what I said,, I just wont use them as theyre garbage, and are you saying being sold at a moderate price at pep boys is a testament to their quality ? cause pep boys don't mean nothing,, watch this video and tell me what ya think about them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I

5,815

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I

24,685

Actually, I meant the exact opposite of what you just said. The fact that Pep Boys sells Fram = They aren't even close to being the best (Hell, I think K-Mart sells 'em too...so you know Fram can't be a premier brand based on this fact alone). I have no great love or respect for EITHER store. Good Luck with your car, OP.

5,815

k my bad Racer_X I wasn't sure which way ya meant what you said, no worries its all good

104,455

Well it looks like I need to do a filter change tomorrow on all my vehicles. Never really knew the difference. Thanks Daniel and Racer_X for bringing this to my attention. Will have some used filters for target practice in the morning. Lol. Drive safe.

5,815

heheh right on dandyoun

http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/47836-why-fram-oil-filter-so-bad.html ...see for yourself, i would never allow a Fram on my car...Wix, Delco. Purlator all good

Get this guys..I once saw a used oil filter on eBay.

104,455

I got a fresh used fram I will sell you this morning DavidH25. You will have to over look the bullet holes tho.

I bid 20 cents, you pay shipping

24,685

Ok..Fram sucks (even if it is on sale at Dollar General or K-Mart). Just say Nooooo!! LOL!

104,455

LOL!!

104,455

But truthfully I have used them for years without any issues that I am aware of. But after reading what these guys was saying yesterday I did a little digging and it seems that I can get a much better quality filter for pennies over what I have been paying for the fram. And after seeing this about quality issues with them and I didn't change to a different one it would probably end up biting me in my a$$.

It has a lot to do with oil flow, not just filtration, From a review: "The WIX oil filters are the most efficient and cost-effective filters in severe conditions. They feature microfiber "glass" media in order to filter out more of the small, engine-destroying particles. This special glass media offers less resistance to oil flow, therefore providing better protection on start-ups, especially in cold weather. Also, the glass media won’t absorb water like cellulose media." End quote, "cellulose media" means cardboard ..which is the 'element' in a Fram

And going way back on top to the OP YES it matters!

104,455

Ok I changed my oil filter to what is suppose to be a high quality filter. 2000 miles later I spun a rod bearing. Ok this might not have been the cause but in my years of owning cars and maintaining them myself I have only had two critical engine failures one shortly after I had been talked into changing my brand of oil and viscosity. (Slung rod thru oil pan). And the second was the other day when after changing oil filter brand I spun a rod bearing. I know I will get beat up for saying this by some on here but here it goes. I will be going back with a FRAM oil filter. Used them for years without any issues. This is not to say the other brand was bad but in my mind would I have spun a bearing using the fram filter? I will never know but from now on I am going to stick with what works for me. Drive safe.

5,815

wix is a good one ,,, what did you switch to ?

104,455

Don't want to post the brand here but will pm you with it.

5,815

k

104,455

Update.. It was not the filter change that caused my spun bearing. It was an old oil pump(low oil pressure) and a head gasket leaking that caused the spun bearing. Thanks Daniel for making me take another look at what actually happened. But I not going to change from fram again just in case.

5,815

as much as i figured,, still hate and advise against fram,, but ultimately its your car so you gotta do what you think is best,,but thanks for posting though, hope your getting that block checked and flushed before you rebuild it

104,455

Mine needed more work than i wanted to put into a motor with 210000+ miles on it. So I cheated. Bought a 94 stealth that had a factory rebuilt motor in it. Best I can figure out it has about 10000 miles on it. Got the motors swapped and she is running great. Stealing all kinds of parts off the donor car to fix all the little interior stuff on my sons. Damn I have to give him the keys to her in about five months.(16th birthday) Got to find me a VR4 to build.

5,815

dandyoun are you on the 3S groups on Facebook ??

104,455

No sorry I don't do facebook

I work at a parts store and can tell u that the best filter by far performance wise is k&n or Bosch. Both are kinda pricey but well worth it and a full synthetic oil u can get up to 30,000 miles out of it depending on how u drive and how long u drive for and in what temperature as well plus a full synthetic oil wont bern ore evaporator into the exhaust as easily as conventional oil but like thows before me said it really up to you on what you on what u decide

thank you guys ,I'm a woman and yes I did learn a few things from this .....lol