'01 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT trans. problem

Asked by Nov 11, 2009 at 03:56 PM about the 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

2001 Mit. Eclipse GT auto. tran. w/ sport shift. Without any previous symptoms, the trans. stop putting power to the wheels. While driving in "D", the rpm's went up and I was coasting. No gears work (D or R). It sounds and feels as if it is trying to go into gear, but only rev.s up, no power to the wheels. It will shift into "N" because I can push it. Any ideas since no earlier symptoms? Clogged trans. filter? Some hose disconnect? Or complete Transaxle shot? Thanks! -> non-mechanic here.

205

pull a cooler hose and put in gear should shoot tranny fluid if no fluid pump prob went out.

10

What was the solution? I have the same problem. ned.batchelor@gmail.com

105

ok, Check your fluids for smell, feel for texture, and color. If it's smells burnt, looks brown or black (which you should hope it doesn't look black), or feels gritty; your gonna need a trans rebuild.

Ok waayyy dramatic with the trans rebuild. Disconnect your battery to reset codes. If engine light comes back on, which it should, get scan from oreillys. That should tell you which sensor to replace. Fyi ebay and amazon are best routes for buying parts for reasonable price.