Turbochargers

Asked by Jun 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally

I am looking to purchase a turbo off ebay, I have a parts list ready, but of course I want to get the big stuff out of the way first. I've never owned or driven a boosted car, so I am not all that familiar with them. I have narrowed my search down to two turbos: a T3 T4 T04E turbo, or the 16G. I have a 2.0L SOHC 4G94 motor in a 2002 OZ Rally Lancer. I have done the majority of small inexpensive bolt ons, but I feel it's time to make some real power, and I have always wanted boost.
  My question is, which one will spool faster? I am only looking to currently make no more that 8psi. After I have a new motor and forged internals I will got for more, but for now this is what I need. I have little time to search the web for answers, and when I do, I mostly get ads that tell me nothing. I would also like to know how to interpret and understand the specs of the turbo listed on places such as ebay. I signed up here, cuz my buddy is part of a Subaru forum, and told me that he's gotten tons of useful information off of forums, so I took his advice and signed up here.  

45

I wouldn't trust a turbo off of ebay, but if you're looking for more answers try www.mitsubishi-forums.com

2,975

well the stock mitsubishi 16g turbo would spool faster because i believe its smaller then the t3 t4. You probably will get more turbo lag out of the t3 t4 turbo BUT you will def get more power. I would suggest you just get a used 16g turbo for really cheap. You can iron out all of the bug your gonna face when that motor responds to the boost. Then when you have had experience with tuning and knowing the fuel to air ratios and know what is actually going on with your motor your should upgrade to a bigger one. That being said i dont know how much power a 4g64 motor can take before you will have to upgrade the iternals. I have a 2004 lancer with a 4g64 and its a dog i havent put any money into because im saving for something better like a wrx/sti or an Evo. But good luck if you need to know anything more go to evolutionm.net that is the best site to visit for mitsu questions because people on there have already boosted OZ rallys.

40

i agree the 16g because its smaller so less pressure. the t3 t4 were only on the 4g63 and 4g64 engines but only the 2.0 DOHC its purpose was the extra camshaft(intake) with only 1 camshaft the engine will be running harder due to the 1 exhaust camshaft. with dual the intake has its own power, so wen u put turbo the camshaft works for the intake manifold sucking in more air from the intercooler and the exhaust cam taking in and letting out pressure. you would be pushing ur engine running a turbo on a SOHC i wouldnt, i think u would blow ur engine and waste of money and time.. the only turbocharged eclipses were 2.0 l and had DOHC, bigger engine. would be able to handle a turbocharger no problem. but i have never heard of a turbocharger on a SOHC engine. a supercharger maybe cuz they run off the energy of the pulleys, get the right size i believe i could replace the air conditioning unit pulley for the supercgarger and run the belt off the crankshaft. My opinion ur engine was not made for add ons. it already has that variable induction management which could be chipped by the way(more hp) and is a 2.4 l SOHC 140hp. i have a 92 gs 2.0 DOHC 16v naturally aspirated engine and pushes 135hp

Best thing to do is to find a turbo off a donor car of the same year (which is what i did) as well as the computer. I put a turbo on my 2002 I4 lancer LS for more gas millage (i was getting 40 mpg without it). Its not a race car so do not try to drive it as such or you will end up spending more money and time repairing your car. If you do want to turbo it my advice would be to go stock or get a diesel truck that you can put a REAL turbo on and they are much more fun, i can leave "fast cars" in the dust with my dodge and my bosses new chevy is even faster.