cant get my 02 lancer to start does anyone know what could be wrong?

Asked by Jul 06, 2011 at 11:12 PM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer LS

i have a new battery and the starter is good! its standard and when i turn key to position ll all lights come on but when i go to start it, it just clicks once and all lights go away! i cant test the alternator cuz it wont run!  has anyone had the same issuse or know what could cause this? when i repalced the battery it started right up and ran for a few days and then that was it! im open to suggestions! please help

685

it has to be a slow battery drain from some sorce in the car or the alternator is bad, take the battery out of the car and place it on a charger, then once it has a full charge replace the battery and get the alternator checked. if its not the alternator you know something is draining the battery. I suspect its the alternator

sounds like your alt has stoped charging the battery.bad alt.when you put the new battery in,it had enought charge on it to run your car for a couple of days,so that means the alt is not recharging the battery.also a faulty starter will do the same thing,i would change the alt and go from their.

so i have checked everything out and all three are good! alt starter and battery is new! i got it to start by poping the clutch but once i slowed down to a stop it want to die but i kept reving it up to keep going and make it home! i put a different battery from my wifes car and it starts but does the same thing! i have no clue what else to try! we tested power to alt and starter and all good! tested both alt and starter and they are stil in good shape!

ok replace fuel filter,,it may be cloged up,run a can or bottleof fuel injector cleaner in tank of gas,sea fome is the best.

55

first start with the basics, you replaced the battery, ensure the connections are good, check both ends of the positive cable then the negative cable, the negative is usually grounded to the block, after that check the connection on the back of the altenator, usually problems like this stem from a bad connection most often on the negative side. When it comes to the idling problem it could be related to the fuel system, if it has been more than 30k miles you are due for a new fuel filter , so you could replace that regardless of what ever else is wrong, id check fuses first, do you have any lights on in the cluster.

Ok I had the same problem and I dumped a load of money into my lancer but then I looked further into my car and found out I blew my engine cause my intake sucked up water so before dumping money into it check all the wau around your block to make sure there isnt a whole or crack somewhere

85

I've been having the same problem with my '03 OZ Rally. They (Mitsubishi) have checked everything. They pulled my alarm out, my stereo and still have the same problem. I'm not sure what to do with mine! It is pulling the same amount of ampage as if the car is running, yet the car is off and the keys are out! Help me!!!