hello every guru out there... im looking to purchase a used 2002 mitsubishi lancer es automatic w/ 180k on the odometer., the car looks great in and out.. i asked the owner if the timing belt has been changed, she does not know if it ever was, in her possesion offcourse anyway, i scratch my head about it.. can someone that knows these cars help me decide what to do.. i need it for comuter ...... thanks ,

Asked by Jun 22, 2015 at 08:49 PM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

ive been looking around on craigslist for a good commuter car., i found a 2002 mitsubishi lancer automatic.... es model. with 180,000 miles . owner has no knowledge of the timing belt has ever been changed,,, its still runnig good i was told..... anyway .i  not sure if i will have problems down the road with this car...   cars looks great in and out.. seems like it has been cared for..if  someone who knows these cars let me know what you think... best regards to all who reads this, thanks

If car runs good and has no fluid leaks and don,t smoke,and you think the car is up to par,would be worth it to have the belt checked,and if it needs replacing have it done.

My Spidey Sense is tingling...and that usually means trouble!! Although I've never owned a Lancer, I have previously owned a 2010 Mitsu Outlander 4 cyl that I racked up 60k miles before trading her in. Yes, it was a reliable SUV, but it was not a refined engine and made a very disturbing screeching noise in the engine bay at times (My mechanic never did figure out how to fix it). I don't have a lot of faith in a 2002 Mitsu 4 cyl with THREE times the mileage that mine had. Lot of red flags here: 13 year old car, 180k miles, owner has NO clue about timing belt, and worse of all: It's being sold on Craigslist (bad rep, in my area at least, for people who pawn off their automotive garbage onto unsuspecting victims). My sincere advice: AVOID this car like the plague!

Best Answer

i will recommend you to take it to a mechanic shop to check it. this belt shout be change every 80 to 90k there are great car if you do the maintains on them you can bring it to mi location and we can do s complete check out for $35

thanks guys .. i just might bite the bullet and buy it.. and definetly get that timing belt checked.. it will cost me some extra$$ but i guess it will be better than junk it if it breaks..... all the best to you guys... thanks for answering to my question...