2002 Galant died in idle, wouldn't start again. Idle sensor?

5

Asked by Aug 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6

Today I was driving around running errands and the car was running just fine. I went to pull into a parking space and just as a came to a stop, the car died. I tried to restart and it wouldn't. The lights, radio, etc work so it's not the battery.
I had it towed to a local garage where they told me its 1) not the battery *duh* and 2) its probably something electrical.
Im a single mom so I dont want to be rail roaded. Could it be something like an idle sensor? I think that I had this same problem back in college with my 98 eclipse and it was like an O2 valve or something.
The mechanic today said that he could get the car to start if he held down the gas while starting it....and that as soon as he took his foot off the gas, it stalled out.
My car has been running great until today. Anyone have any ideas? I just would like to have an idea of what I am looking at before the mechanic calls me on Monday with something that could be totally off the wall.
Thanks!!
Julie

425

I would ask them if there are any diagnostic trouble codes in memory or any pending codes. Then I would ask them how they plan to find the problem. If you don't get an answer that makes sense then you should ask them if they are going to charge you for figuring out the problem or fixing the problem. Or you could ask to take it to another shop. As long as they are not charging you for time spent while guessing or replacing parts unnecessarily then I would let them continue as long as they seem to make some progress. I could be the idle air sensor or several other sensors or EGR valve or vacuum leak but I don't think it is the O2 sensor.

875

Its easy ;) Either the you just have to adjust the carbonator, and / or replace the Lambda sensor :)

60

Hello jcockrum2, I just had the same problem as you did with a 99 Galant. the car suddnely died right after I parked, the keyless entry even wouldn't work. I jump started it and everything worked exept the radio, but when I stopped the engine it all died again, it's been doing so all day. I need some help to figure out what is going on. have you been able to solve the problem on yours? what was the problem? Thanks

1,815

Sounds like an air flow problem. There might be carbon build up so check and clean your throttle body, tps, and idle air control valve. Also check your air filter. If you clean everything up and it still doesnt start unless you open the throttle, then theres a good chance the idle air control valve is bad. It could also be an egr valve, i would check that if the other stuff doesnt help. Are there any codes?

70

I need help i am having the same problems with my 02 galant. I have changed the IAC and the EGR valves changed all the belts n did the timing again battery is good but the car just won't stay on... Can someone help please..

Check your fuel pressure.Your fuel pump may need replacing or the screen is dirty not allowing proper fuel pressure.

10

99 galant Changed crank sensor,cam sensor,coil packs,battery,plugs,got good compression.car turns over just wont start.any suggestions?

10

lolz. i have a 1998 galant. and i tried all that u guys saying n nothing worked.... you guys wont believe what the problem to all ur engine failures are.......... there is a gas pump under ur back seat..... there are 2 things there to check. 1.. see if electricity is reaching the pump..... if not, its a fuse, relay or bad wire. 2....... if u get electricity, jus replace the fuel pump in the gas tank n start up and move again.