How can I buy the correct EGR Valve for my 2002 Galant ES 2.4? The valve sold for this has 2 extra metal tubes protruding from the device that mine does not have & does not accommodate. Does this have something to do with the "ported" issue raised in a previous question? I am at a loss as to why there is no alternate part listed for this engine when it is clearly required! Please help!

150

Asked by Oct 31, 2016 at 03:25 PM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES

104,125

Try to find a part number on the old one or take it in to the auto parts store so they can try to match it.

150

Most auto parts (all I've been to) aren't stocking these at the store locations, just at the warehouse which is quick enough but not helpful for part matching. I have avoided removing the part because I can't have a gasket on hand without knowing the part & it is my only transportation.

150

I have yet to find a part number on it but it matches the Mitsubishi schematic for the emissions system perfectly! One number referenced there was MR12400 I believe.

104,125

If you order a part and it is the wrong one then they will refund your money. Take the car to the auto parts store and get the counter guy to go out and look at it. Have you gone to a Mitsubishi dealer?

104,125

It is possible that you have an earlier or later version of the part so you could check the previous year or the next year to see if those parts match what you have. Auto parts stores don't always have the correct information as I have found. I do think your best bet is to take the car to a Mitsu dealer and have them find what you need.

150

The auto parts will refund my money, no problem. The counter guy suggested that I plug the 2 extra tubes :O I know better, one of my first jobs out of school was selling auto parts years ago. I haven't gone to Mitsubishi yet; I don't want to pay them to fix it. They are very pricey! Do they have a parts only counter?

104,125

Every dealer I have ever been to has a parts counter and they probably will be glad to go out and look at the part for you.

Best Answer Mark helpful
150

I have been checking alternate years & the wrong part is called out for model years 1999 through 2003! The odd thing is that the part called out for the V6 3.0 looks to be a much closer match & doesn't have the extra tubes. This engine is definitely a 2.4!

104,125

I have run into wrong parts listed at the aftermarket car parts dealers such as O'Reilly's or NAPA. It is frustrating but you just need to go to the source.

150

Thank you! So far Autozone & O'Reilly both show the wrong part. I need to look at Napa again. They had 3 options but I BELIEVE only the wrong one for a 2.4.

78,085

There may have been a midyear production change, your engine may not be original to the car, or you may have California emissions instead of federal emissions. I work at NAPA. I'll try looking it up for you tomorrow and let you know what I find out. In the mean time, have you tried rockauto.com? HTH. -Jim

150

Hey, thanks! I haven't tried rockauto.com yet, I saw that somewhere yesterday. I just looked at Mitsubishipartswarehouse.com (I believe) but their diagrams show the wrong part. What you said about the engine is correct. It is SUPPOSED to be a 2002 Galant 2.4; it was put in my 2000 Eclipse. Looking all over the net I found a video of a 1999 Galant engine that looks exactly like mine so I have looked that up as well. It's the same part with the extra tubes as is called out for 2000-2003 Galant or Eclipse. I wonder what is supposed to be connected to them. Anyway, thank you so much!!

150

The engine

78,085

Interesting. You're welcome. Glad to help. I'll let you know what I find out. -Jim

150

Sorry it's upside down, the photo flipped when I posted it. This is a shot of the valve taken from the passenger side.

150

That flipped too! My tablet is a bit hosed-up it seems!

78,085

Look on rockauto.com under 2006 Eclipse 2.4L. Is that what you have? '95 thru '05 uses the one with the two tubes. I'm still going to look tomorrow at work. But I figured it might give us a place to start. HTH. -Jim

150

No, mine is a 2000 but the engine is questionable; the source turned out to be extremely shady at best & refused to turn over any paperwork on it. I'll check it out, thank you!!

150

Napa online shows the part I believe I need under 1998 Galant 2.4 :). Unfortunately I was scammed & ripped off on this engine thing but I have no recourse. I bought this car brand new from the dealer in 2000 & got stomped the last few years by some horrible mechanics & shops so I do whatever I can myself. Thank you!!!

150

BTW, I am not slamming mechanics, I have had some great ones! When you move, you have to find a new one & that is a brutal process. Thank you both for all of your help!

104,125

The yellow painted writing on the engine looks like what salvage yards do to identify parts. If this is the case then your engine is not original and could be from another year or it could even be a Japanese grey market engine in which case it could be difficult to source the correct part.

78,085

Glad to hear you had some success today with this. The NAPA part number I came up with is 2- 26330. Line code CRB. I did a cataloging search using your vehicle information but omitted the model year. HTH. -Jim

150

That's the P/N I came up with when I used model year 1998, thank you! The engine clearly is not what it was sold as which further explains the refusal to provide any documentation on it. Thanks so much!

78,085

Looks like we have a winner! Awesome!! You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim