97 Ford Contour will not crank

Asked by Feb 03, 2014 at 04:17 AM about the 1997 Ford Contour 4 Dr LX Sedan

I just bought this Ford Contour yesterday, it ran great for miles and several ignitions worked perfect. Today, the car suddenly will not crank (the engine will not start), but it turns over and lights/radio/air/dinger all come on, just no ignition. I found out the battery was bad so purchased a new one and still no luck. I need help ASAP, I have school tomorrow and two kids who also rely on me for transportation and have no other vehicle. We checked out a lot but still can't find the exact problem and it just happened literally overnight. Please help. The details include: when cranking the ignition with key, it makes a clicking noise but no engine starting, and also the clicking noise is coming from the fuse box under the hood so I'm not sure if it is that or the starter. All of the fuses in the interior (lights, radio, and such had to be replaced because they didn't work but now do). I have not replaced the under the engine fuses because I don't know which goes to what. Any quick info would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys. BTW my name is Kristinia. Thanks. Help!!!

20,235

did those fuses for radio screw it up? maybe that's why they were missing, if all were blown out ,why? under hood fuses at least look close for one scorched at see threw ends

20

Check the wiring harness to the coil pack! I am repairing a 1996 that will not crank and I discovered that the insulation on all the wiring had cracked and all the wires were exposed and touching each other. Ford doesn't sell a repair kit but auto Zone had the coil pack kit for less than $10.00 Ford said the price if the harness was available would be $600.00+-.