Fuel Pump not Getting Power?? (engine cranks but won't start)

Asked by Apr 26, 2017 at 09:47 PM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

I have a 2002 Mitsibushi Eclipse GS, 2.4L and 4 cyclinder that won't start after
it died on the freeway. Diagnostic showed Crankshaft position sensor and one
of the small belts (connected to timing belt was busted). I replaced both of
those but the car still doesn't start. I usually am able to hear the fuel pump
buzz when i turn the key to on position, but it's not doing that anymore. I
checked relays on the side panel and all fuses and relays in the fuse box under
hood, all are good.

Anybody know what this could be? I'm guessing next step should be a fuel
pressure test, compression test, and test the fuel pump itself to see if it's
getting any voltage. Any help would be appreciated.

- Saul

2,015

How many miles are on the car? My cousin had to replace the Head on the original engine. She also had a check engine light on and the code points to the EGR valve not functioning properly. Now the engine will crank and you can hear it and it just wont start. A good friend who is a mechanic tried a risky but effective test in pouring fuel directly into the engine thru the throttle body and the car started and then shut off when the fuel was expended. I was informed that the Fuel Pressure Regulator can cause this in the eclipses

2,015

An EGR valve leak can prevent the engine from starting due to massive vacuum leak-

Apparently this engine was newer, had about 70k on it, but I highly doubt that. I was told the motor mounts were new when i bought the car, all of them were bad and I had to replace them. I can check for a valve leak. Just weird how the Fuel pump isn't buzzing when i turn the key forward, it always has and never had issues with it before. My read told me the crankshaft position sensor was bad so I replaced that. I can't really do more thorough tests until I can get the car running and hook up my reader. I might add this cars dashboard caught on fire and we had to replace the dash and rewire the harness, it wasn't damaged. But we used the harness from my friends 04 eclipse. I'm not sure if there could maybe be bad wiring there or maybe I should just put a whole new harness?

2,015

Yes, sounds like somebody sold an older vehicle than was advertised. Check for 12 volts at the small wire on the starter with key in crank position. If it has power then the starter needs to be replaced. If none, then check the clutch switch mounted on the pedal assembly. Should have power on one side, then the other when the clutch is pushed in....if this has a stick....manual trans