My sisters 2002 eclipse gs wont start. it turns over and cranks normally, just wont start. could it be that its not getting fuel? i just replaced the spark plugs and wires, battery, alternator, and an 02 sensor that connects in the center of the cab. we arent working with much funds as shes paying for parts and only works part time. what all could be the cause of this car not starting and what can i do to fix it?

30

Asked by Aug 04, 2016 at 11:57 AM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

20

I am having a similar problem on a Kia. My check engine light does not stay on. Can you read the stored codes in the ecu. In my case there are no codes stored but if your car had some stored that would be a good place to start. Obdii can be loaned out by most of the chain auto part stores

Best Answer Mark helpful
30

Yes i own an obd scan tool. The only code i had was for the 02 sensor that i replaced. I know sometimes o2 sensors can be the cause of an engine not starting. But thats not the case this time. Im gonna use my compression tester and check for compression in the morning, check for spark and check that the fuel pump is running. The main things for am engine not starting are air, spark, fuel, and compression. So im gonna start by just checking what i can without buying parts. I went through mechanic school but have been working in a different field recently ao some things i have to ask about lol . but yeah for your kia id check the same. I just did a master cylinder and brakes all around on my moms 06 spectra. But compression testers can be rented by your auto parts store and theyre fairly simple to use. To check for fuel, remove just the fuel rail with the injectors still attached and have a friend or family member crank the engine. If fuel comes out your getting fuel. Check for spark by pulling a plug, reattach the boot To the plug and just find something to touch it against for ground. If you see spark then obviously you have spark. Do this for each of the 4 or 6 cylinders and plugs. Fuel pump can be tested by either listening for it to come on when you have someone turn the key . you should be able to hear it click on and back off. Or use a multimeter to test the leads. Also about the compression, each cylinder should be within 5lbs of each other and in between a certain range. Im not sure what yours should be But you should be able to find it online pretty easily. Also use a multimeter to check your sending unit . if easily accessible, pull the fuel filter off, because a clogged filter could also be reasoning behind no fuel if that's your issue. Hope this helps, ill post what i find out about my sisters car tomorrow. Have a goodnight.

20

you sound a lot like me. i have been turning wrenches for 39 years now. it all comes down to fuel/air mixture spark and timing. i have checked and have fuel pressure, spark and compression. i own an obdii scan tool as well and everything checcks ok.that is what has me baffled. my car was serviced 1500 miles ago with a new timinga belt kit hoses coil packs.....it should run....if i pull the crank vent hose from the valve cover to the intake it will idle very rough....that sets up a lean condition so i am down to air/fuel mixture.... MAF and TPS both show positive readings (meaning the are responsive to change) ..... i wondered if the catalytic converter could be clogged but i am getting air moving when it idles in the condition listed above. I also thought i might have a grounding issue somewhere. I was driving the car about 100 miles from home and pulled in i store to get a drink. it had run flawless all day. came out of the store and it juust would not fire. it was by luck that i unhook the crankvent and got it to idle rough. also i checked the timimg belt to make sure it had not jumped time. ... just for kicks and giggles i unhooked the crank and cam sensors just to see if ecu would see a problem and lo and behold it did. the injectors were cleaned at the time of service as well.....so i am scratching my head.... oh yeah while i was stranded on the side of the road with limited resources i was near an autozone so i changed the fuel pump(it wasnt the problem.....there is a story there why i changed it for another time....lol). anyway i am going to pull injectors and check them but i have never heard of 4 injectors going bad at once. let me know what you find on your sisters car

55

Do you have fuel pressure and good spark?