2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Won't Start (Sometimes)

65

Asked by Nov 26, 2013 at 09:04 PM about the 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally with manual transmission. No one else can
start this car, but me and recently I've even been having problems. The battery is good
and I even had a brand new starter put in. The problem persists with no one (not even the
mechanic!) aside from myself being able to turn it on. I don't want this to be the case and
I also don't want to end up stranded if it decides to not start one day.

On failed start attempts the engine doesn't even try to turn. The car stays completely
silent, but all the lights go through the regular motions. What could the problem be?

Thanks!

the black cable connects to a place on the chassis/ground...clean this lug and spot where it attaches...(done this earlier today....fuseable link too)~ wjth a wirebrush~

65

I'll give this a shot tomorrow and see if someone else can finally start it! Will report back.

5,885

what are you doing differently than everyone else to start the car??

65

@ Daniel, I don't know! Today I took it to the shop and asked if the mechanic could try starting it and he couldn't. I hopped in the passenger seat and had him press the clutch down while I turned the key and it started right up. It made me feel bad, but it might just be a weird technique that I've learned/ gotten used to. I want other people to be able to start this car of mine. He couldn't spot anything that I was doing differently.

5,885

thats strange as hell lol but im sorta thinking theres something going on with the ignition switch though

2,185

some of the lancers have an earth cable below the fuse box where they get corroded and a secondary earth on the gearbox housing it could be one or both of these being dirty or corroded

20

I have the same problem on my car I will turn the key and nothing will happen the lights and all my electronics will dim and all but no turning or anything, I found on my key its the way the key sits in the slot it cant be too far in or out on mine, im thinking it could be a bad connection in the switch. but I don't have any degreees compared to a mechanic

10

I'm having a similar problem except lately it takes me 8-10 tries to get it started.

5,885

sounds like your ignition is going bad,, that or if its a chipped key the chip is getting bad or worn

Best Answer
65

It was totally the ignition starter switch! Thanks!

65

Let me elaborate: I tried with the cleaning and that did nothing to improve the problem. The shop I went to went so far as to replace the starter which did nothing for the problem. Finally after getting connected to a mechanic through a friend of a friend, we spent an afternoon going through the connections and he diagnosed the problem. I ordered the proper ignition starter switch online for close to $50 and then it was a fairly simple swap to make.

5,885

so can I get a most helpful outta this then ?? lol

5,885

glad to hear ya got it going though

I have the same problem with mine but for some reason it doesn't want to start wen it's been sitting in the sun for a while..... but it starts th up at night time or when its cool

Yea it starts up fine in the cold but let it warm up and u turn it off u will be turning that key for a good min till it start but if I have the room to push start it that's what I do

I have a 2007 cadillac and the problem I'm having with it is that the windshield wiper do not turn off when I put the fuse in what should I look for do anyone know??

We have been having the exact same issue with our 03 O.Z. Rally, This hopefully will help us get it fixed!! Where did you find the ignition if you don't mind sharing

65

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Starter-Switch-Mitsubishi-Lancer- Outlander-/141017812642? pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALancer&hash=i tem20d5510ea2&vxp=mtr

It is not the ignition or ignition switch...it is an electronic problem. The same thing happened to my 03 oz rally but it got the the point where one day it didn't want to start on me. I took it to the mechanic and he found that some of the wire were burnt out and weren't passing current to the ignition. They switched them out and now it starts perfectly fine.

What is a. Oz i just put a fuel pump in it and trun it over no start someone please help thank u