i have a mitsubishi eclipse gt 2003 and everytime am driving and i step on the brakes the steering wheel shakes.whats the problem

5

Asked by Oct 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM about the 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

You probably simply need new brake pads...noise? screech? then definitely but there are other possibilities, front suspension (Front brakes do 70% of stopping) and the stress of braking shakes ball joints and other steering components have those checked also

285

your rotors may be warped also when was the last time you put new pads and rotors on

True. Ryan is absolutely right on, I should have thought of that and missed it, glad he added that

Have your brakes ever gotten so hot you can smell the distinctive odor of smoking brakes? Like going down a very long steep grade? If so, Ryan has hit it.

285

i drive a 95 talon esi and when i hit 170mph in a race i pushed in brakes to start slowing down before i found a cop and my car did same thing so i tore into it my ex never replaced pads there was none left maybe thickness of a dime so i figured if those where that bad i wasnt chancing the rotors soi replaced those also in the front stops great now no more shacking now gotta do the rear rotors and pads and she should stop just as good as a brand new car :)

5

thank you guys.all of you were very helful.ill get my car checked

55

your rotors are warped for sure and on a side note ryan your esi has never even touched 170

285

and you know this how zachary? i dnt recall you being in or around my esi when i did so are you just being a prick like most zachs i know? let me get it running again and where i can drive legally and ill take you out and show you some time sound good?

155

zachary i think he meant kph, we all have dreams

6,015

warped rotors

6,015

a 140hp/131ft-lbs engine pushing a car with a Curb weight of 2756 lbs. must of been 170Kph/105mph cause it sure wasn't 170mph, doubt that car could make to 120mph

i have a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipses GT and when i back up my brakes screech and then when i put in drive it does it for a while then goes away but soon as i hit the brakes again it starts up again but my steering wheel does not shake so what could it be? could it be cause it has sit for a long time