What maker would you recommend when buying new tires?

Asked by Jun 16, 2008 at 02:42 AM about the 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Wanting to buy 4 new tires (P205/55R16 89H), been looking at high mileage tires.
All season ok, we drive within speed limit and mainly local driving (suburban living, five miles into center city to work, most shopping within two miles of home).
Had purchased Summit tires 17 months/7,500 miles ago and not happy with wear, almost to
the wear indicator.  We thought we'd get better wear for a 45k tire.

goodyear,michelin,kumo,all good brands.

135

well as far as wear, different brands would not have that much of a different, it depends on the rating of the tire, the rating is the Letter H in the tire size 205/55R16 89H, different letters are for higher speeds, the higher the speed the less miles the tire can go before it reaches the wear band.

175

whoever makes the potenzas. I have them on my eclipse and their tight as all hell. All season. All weather. Just an all around kick ass tire.

10,665

michelin is going to give you the longest life and best ride quality

45

i'd say a good year radial tire an assurance or an eagle would be great i see them put on those all the time

70

I'd Recommend the new Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grids... there a 40-50,000 mile tread wear warrenty on them and there a GREAT ALL SEASON TIRE.

35

I don't know about crusing around town, but I was checking out the Falken ZIEK- ZE-912 performance tires for my Eclipse because I plan on racing it on the road course at Infineon. I recently saw an article in Grassroots Motorsports and they ranked reasonably priced performance tires and those particular ones are rated the highest for sticking to the pavement, taking the bumps well and being relatively quiet at $51.00 a piece. Of course our car uses the 16" and Sears just so happens to have the tire on sale for 81 bucks a pop. Tire wear will be dependant upon use. Good luck.

915

BFGoodrich traction t/a's lasted me 65,000km's on my car exact same size but a much heavier car and drove the shit out of them. keep them at about 40psi cold and they handle just right

45

Purchased 4 Fuzion HRi tires (all-season). Live in upstate NY and I've driven about 6K miles with these tires in snow as well as summer. They handle excellent so far. I'm not exactly sure what advantage my manual transmission gave me in snow, but I'm guessing they should work equally well for the automatic. I was particularly impressed with the traction when driving in rain. Sorry I cannot comment on wear life as they are still new. I will post an update with my experiences when it gets to that. I mainly drive around town (school) and between cities (weekend getaways!). I've also driven on narrow roads around the Adirondacks and so far, I'm a fan!

15

Having worked in the car industry, the new Michelin MXV4 Primacy tire is rated 60k and offers the best ride. BFGoodrich Traction T/As are garbage so dont listen to that other guy that also recommends 40 psi. thats dumb. over inflation causes premature tire wear in the center tread. BFG touring Pro Series however are good solid tires also rated for 60k. had a friend that had Falkens and they always had problems w/ them. I have Pirellis on my car and like them a lot.

75

on that same size tire i use bfgoodrich g/force all season tires. i use them to race and they perform exceptionally well. on the street i use kuhmo ecsta asx in 225/40r18 on enkei lf10 rims. they too perform really well

35

I run falken ze-912's and theyre awesome. they grip like none other in any kind of weather

35

Get toyo proxes, T1R or R1R, great performance and durability.

715

what a dumb question shoot you ask 15 differnt people you get 20 differnt answers AND just remember you get what you pay for so unless your just getting a set of tires so you could sell the car go cheap nobody cares if you have michelin piolet as compaired to the cheapest cooper tire they sell if you want the keep the car till it brakes down seeing how its a mitsubishi that will be soon get a tire that will last you

95

BFG all the way or toyo's

50

dude, they all forgot to mention the NItto 450's or even better the 555's. I had the 555's on my 03 mustang gt and they were hard as hell to break loose. look into them

485

I am an authorized Michelin dealer (Michelin also owns BFG and Uniroyal). Upgrade to a Z-rated BFG Super Sport A/S (P/N - 21997) and you should get at least 50,000 miles with the driving you do. There are 3 different tread zones which make the tire good in all season driving but are also a great performance tires. if you want something even longer wearing but maybe not as sporty, go with a Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring (P/N - 23757) which should give you like 65,000 miles or a Michelin Primacy MXV4 Plus (P/N - 36597) which is good for about 60,000 miles. I have many customers who are happy with the BFGs, and they are my No. 1 pick. Hope this was a little bit of help.

385

Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 80,000 mile tire (benefits good traction) Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread 80,000 mile tire (benefits are low noise, comfort) Michelin has their Hydroedge, good tire, i am a bit rusty 80-90k tire. Continental Extreme Contacts, i personnaly have on my 96 gst. Have no mileage warranty, havent rotated them since they have been on over two years. My car is lowered and the camber is horrible. Tires ARE STILL wearing fantastic. Good Price, check Tirerack I paid $88 a piece. Also have you rotated your tires? Had your alignment checked? Are the tires wearing evenly across or are the edges worn off?

45

Michelin is the best, and then most new tires have ratings for mileage, like the BF Goodrich tire I bought had a good price and a long life rating with warranty.

5

The most sold High millage tire of 2009-2010 was a Yokahama YK520 its a great all season tire with an 80000 mile warrenty if bought at discount tire