Should it really cost $1300 to replace a Battery Harness in a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant? Is it worth it?

Asked by Apr 01, 2015 at 02:38 PM about the 2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS

I need help deciding what to do...I don't know if I will qualify for a new car loan, plus I am
not sure I can afford a new car...

7,675

If it's an OEM part installed at the dealer it wouldn't surprise me.

Thank you...He says the part is 1000. Is there a place to find it cheaper? Do you know? If we get one, could my son install? I have never heard of such a high price for some wires. I am worried i am being taken advantage of due to being a 60 year old grandmother. Thanks!

7,675

Some wires is probably a complex wire harness in which case will be expensive (the cost of owning an import) as far as your son installing it, if he's not familiar with the cars systems it's not recommended.

625

The problem with cars like Mitsubishis (or a Daewoo, or a Suzuki, etc...) is the market may not be big enough for after-market companies to make parts for them. The OEM probably knows this, so if they're the only game in town and you need the part... you're going to have to pay their price.

65

you can find it on eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebay. I guess I'm the only one old enough to remember that commercial. Alright man, firstly, the problem with owning Mitsubishi, is that Mitsu, never releases the patents on their stuff. So to even buy touchup paint you would have to go to a dealership. However, I'm surprised that there is something wrong with the battery harness. usually if there are simple little problems with the electrical, you, would replace the battery leads. The wiring harness for the car, could be a problem, but I don't know why you would have to replace the whole harness of anything. If there is a problem with such an object like a wire, you can splice, wrap some tape around the bad spot, there are literally a dozen ways to fix it without replacing the whole thing. Also, like I said, ebay is an amazing place, the mechanic doesn't really have a choice if you show up at the shop with a perfectly good part to put on your car. However, ask him to show you what the problem is. Don't just take him at his word. I own a Mitsubishi Evo, my car requires the most expensive parts Mitsubishi OEM has to offer, but I've never heard that I need to change my battery harness. Who knows, maybe it's located next to the blinker fluid.