I have a '97 Aerostar XLT. I was in an accident resulting in front end damage estimated at betwee $2,500 to $3,000 in repairs.

Asked by Nov 22, 2011 at 10:50 PM about the 1997 Ford Aerostar 3 Dr XLT Passenger Van

The repair estimate, given by a very reputable collision repair shop, includes: Replacement of the radiator; repair power steering condenser; repair of front end structural damage on passenger side(the extent of this damage is not completely known); replace front grill, bumper frame, bumper cover; hood replacement. The rest of the exterior and interior is in excellent condition including the motor-- even the insurance adjuster was impressed. This is, or was, an extremely well maintained and garaged kept Van (w/about 70,000 miles). My insurance company considers it totaled with a replacement value of $2,500, and a payoff at $2,090, after the deductible. I had it towed to my mechanic for a second opinion, but he recommended that I let it go because of the cost of repair for the structural damage done to the right front under carriage and frame. If not for the excellent condition to what remains of the van, the decision to take the money and run would be easier. I'm guessing that the, before-damage, value to be around $2,500 to maybe $3,000?. Bottom line is that I would like to keep it, and perhaps pay out-of-pocket to have it repaired. A greater part of me would rather not spend a lot of time and money for a rental, and then run around looking for a decent vehicle, if at all possible, that would be at its equivalent value. The alternative of spending money for another vehicle is a burn, since the Aerostar was a recent gift, and therefore have had no other investments beyond its required maintenance. I love it, and I hate to let it go. [Now that I'm retired, I usually drive no more than 5 miles a week, unless it deemed necessary to attend those most pleasurable of events called Doctor appointments. Especially those with long preceding hours of solitude that offer up enough time to read several books.] While I realize the information given here may be of limited use for conclusive answers and perhaps helpful opinions on such matters, for that I greatly apologize. However, any advise or even polite conversation, will be more than welcome. Beyond that, if so inclined, some measure of sympathy will suffice. To all a very Happy Thanksgiving!

let the insurance co total it,collect your money,you can buy it back for around $500.00.