I think I have a rearend problem. I have some whining with acceleration. What's your thoughts?

Asked by May 28, 2010 at 11:48 PM about the 1997 Ford Aerostar 3 Dr XLT AWD Passenger Van Extended

I am getting some whining with acceleration, so I think I have a rearend problem. I
had a mechanic check it because I a small oil leak in the rearend as well. However I get about 13 miles per gallon, which isn't good and I am wondering if I should invest to repair and if there is someway to get better gas mileage. Thanks.

It is a white van, no major bells or whistles.

465

could be something easy like a u-joint

could be rearend trouble,then it could be a tranny issue.

4,915

If the van is whining in park, and when you rev it in park then it could be the transmission. Check the fluid and make sure it is not low. Also make sure the sound isn't just the typical whiny Ford power steering pump. If it is the power steering, flush the power steering fluid. If the van is only whining while in gear and moving, then your probably have a rear end problem.