Vibration at 65+mph

Asked by Guru154G6 Aug 23, 2019 at 06:39 AM about the 2019 Toyota Camry SE FWD

new 2019 Camry SE. (odo 350 miles)  Vibration at 65+ mph.  Steering wheel vibrates, can feel it in seat back of driver's seat.  Dealer consulted, said that the 2019's come with 18" wheels with low profile tires.  With this configuration they say will lead to vibration.  it's a characteristic of the car.  They said they checked balance, found one tire a bit out of balance and adjusted.  Post service road test still have the same vibration.

280,625

Find another dealership. They should not do that, I put 18’s on my car with low profiles once and they were as smooth as glass. Sounds like there maybe out of round tires or even some bent rims. This should have never have been put on the lot, the predelivery section didn’t do their job properly or they would have found it.

16,930

I agree with the above assesments. Back to the dealer. Ask them to switch tires and rims front to back. Road test vehicle. If vibration moves to the rear of the vehicle....you have a bad tire back there. Get back to us with results.

Seems like this a common problem that Toyota is hiding behind again. I have a 2020 SE 4 cyl just turned 3,000 miles. Since the 1,000 mark the left front vibration started. Here's food for thought. I'm a Auto/Truck Tech (mechanic)... I re-balanced all four tires only 2 were out by .50oz not enough for vibration, rotated them all over (I marked/labeled the wheels as to were they started out from). No change Vibration still in left front. So here was my thought of where to look next? It's not a tire and/or wheel issue (Bought another set of 18X8 aftermarket same as the factory just different style, same size tire except different brand "Generals") That did not change a thing. So, here is where I'm going next? Within the axle shaft, Poss strut issue (maybe not a large enough diameter/bore) to handle the low/pro tires. If not that then the issue is within the transmission. Really interested in what everyone has tried or was told via the dealer. Keep in mind depending on the state you reside in after 3X to the dealer for a drive ability/safety issue the vehicle is eligible for Lemon Law. I have used Kimmel & Silverman years ago & recommended them to many people thru the years. They are excellent, it will not cost you a dollar as the Manufacturer sports the bill. www.lemonlaw.com can't hurt to check it out. If I can't get this straightened out by the dealer I'll be filing a claim. I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay 30k for a vehicle to hear I have to live with it. Nope, sorry not happening.

16,930

Suggestion...drive this vehicle and reproduce the vib. Carefully shift the vehicle into Neutral. Does the vib. change or go away? If yes....then its a tranny issue. If she still shakes...wheels...tires....drive shaft....jounts. a Reed Tachometer would help pinpoint the root cause of the vib. Get back with any updates. Interesting issue.

I have been dealing with a similar problem with my XSE. Same size tires. Taking it in for service for the fourth time. I have been told the same line different dealer. I am going to try the neutral test and get back to the discussion.

Ok, did the neutral thing at different speeds. Was still there. What I did find was one tire out of round. Keep in mind the tire will balance on a machine but the out of round will cause a bounce (something we may not be able to see by eye). A replacement tire is on it's way to me, hope to have mounted up this weekend & will keep everyone posted. The tires on my car are Hankook's.

385,665

A tire shop I go to told me this sort of problem is common in Toyota's. Do a Road Force tire balance and it will probably solve the vibration problem. It worked on my Lexus which had a vibration problem.

Update to above post. The original tires were Hankook's giving me the issue the new wheels & tires are General's. After checking/balancing both sets of the and wheels found one General out of round & possibly 2 of the Hankook's out of round. What Brand tires are on your vehicle giving you the Vibration? I'm thinking if it's not the Tires then the factory wheels/rims could be the issue.

385,665

A Road Force balance will find any problems with wheels or tires.

I have had 3 different sets of tires on my 2018 camry se . Same vibration in seat . Rotated balance, road forced . Anybody have any updates on their progress with issue.