How to find out why my "Ajar light" is always?

Asked by Sep 01, 2015 at 11:51 AM about the 2002 MINI Cooper Base

I have a 2002 mini cooper. The interior lights are always on, even when doors
are closed, and the ajar light is also on indicating that the hood or back door is
open.

18,815

Look at the switch on or near your headliner. It's the dome light in your car , and has a switch that should slide to the right or left. Try moving that and then recheck it when you open and close your doors.

2,115

there is a switch that is in the latch that tells that the latch is open or closed. is the lights are on inside the car then forget about the hood being the problem. the switch in the latch has probably gone out and there for you might need a new latch for the back door. it also might be that the latch is out of adjustment and there for it still this its open because its not shutting all the way. heres what you can do to test take a scew driver to the back latch like a philips and using the screw driver click the ltch closed "don't shut the door" if the lights go out but using the screw driver then the adjustment is off if the lights stay on then the latch switch is out. there is some thing else and seems to be a thing with these cars pull the pannel off the inside of the door and check the wiring going to the latch the clip breaks and the wire comes off the latch with shutting the door. check this first please see if this might be the problem

Best Answer

PrideAuto, thanks! When I got home I did exactly what you told me with the Phillips screw driver and the light did go off. The thing is that my back door isn't well aligned to the latch which I'm guessing that's the problem. But now I know the latch still works.

2,115

good to hear. Im glad to hear that I could help you