2005 Mini Cooper

Asked by Sep 06, 2016 at 06:24 PM about the 2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback

Looking at a 2005 Mini Cooper for my 16 year old.   Is it a
safe car?    Would I be looking at a lot of maintenance?   
Has 78000 miles and is an automatic.   

98,565

Safe? Not for a 16 year old, high maintenance? Yes. 78K miles and an automatic, not a good combo.

50,855

Any used Mini is a bad choice. They are high maintenance and not particularly reliable.

251,515

Plus a small car like the Mini is not very safe in an accident. One of the reasons you see tons of used Mini's on the dealer lots BTW. I recommend a domestic 4dr sedan. Safe and low insurance. Not the coolest looking car to drive, but safe. .

is it a supercharged or base MINI? i have owned MINI's for 11 years. they are very safe and fun cars. put a code reader on it and if you get any codes, take it to a mechanic. i have 2 MINI's right now and they seldom throw a fault code.

175

I have a 2006 Cooper S very reliable. Sure if you get hit it's an issue but great handling. I would be more concerned about how it's driving. The S is very fast. Dealer service can be very expensive. Find a local foreign car guy. As suggested if the check engine light is on have it scanned. Been driving Minis for many years.

i got about 30 emails... someone named gas32 and shfufdgg are trying to hack this site. everyone be alert.

15

I completely disagree that MINI's aren't safe - I was t-boned on the driver's side by someone who ran a red light in my 2006 MINI (Bruce, RIP). My car spun about 7 times and landed up on a curb. I was fine - apart from whiplash and residual back pain, the side and front airbags deployed how they were supposed to and the cops all said it was incredible that my car didn't flip (note to emergency responders, hearing that 'it's a miracle you didn't flip' is not super reassuring at the time). Yes, they are definitely a bit more maintenance. More in just that it's harder to find good people to work on them and the parts tend to be more expensive when they come up. 78K miles seems a little high to me but if she's using it lightly and it won't be a long term car, they are fun, fuel efficient, and safe!

30

Factually, according to NTSB crash data, you are more likely to die in a Chevy Suburban in a crash than a Mini. Perception and reality differ thanks to marketing. One of the best things about the mini is it's ability with a good driver to squeeze out of dangerously BAD situations on the road, being able to avoid accidents most sedans, SUV's, and even other compacts simply wouldn't be able to escape as this is an incredibly nimble car. Now is it a good car for a 16 year old? Depends on the responsibility of the child, as the mini, specifically the S, is a proper hooligan​ machine in the wrong, or right hands. Food for thought.

74,565

Probably because there are a lot more Suburbans than Minis and that fact that Suburbans carry 3x as many people. Raw statistics should not be quoted without a little perspective.

30

The data was deaths per crash, not total crashes. Suburbans allow a deeper penetration than a mini 2 door hardtop on side pole impact crashes. The reasons are simple. Trucks, and the U.S. considers SUV's trucks, are not held to the same crash standards as passenger cars. Thereby not required to adhere to the same rules of crumple zones, side impact bracing, airbags, etc. and they don't. It's worked out very well for the manufacturers that get to sell a feeling of saftey to consumers with little to no basis in reality. Simple U.S. automobile psychology: Bigger = safer & small = deathtrap. the facts bear out differently. I own a Truck an SUV and Mini, and only one of them doesn't have a warning posted on my sun visor about flipping going around a corner or if the wind blows.

74,565

If you think small is safe you don't know physics. Like I said a Suburban carrying 8 people cannot be directly compared to a Mini carrying 1 or 2.

30

You are absolutely correct about capacity, although most Suburbans, Expeditions, Durangos, X5's etc I see on the interstates tend to be occupied by the same 1 or 2 people just like most vehicles. Part of the physics concerning crashes that make small cars like the mini, and with the handling that the car has, puts it into a small, no pun intended, group, is Its ability to avoid crashes that an accord or a "insert large passenger van / SUV here"

30

simply couldn't avoid.

74,565

I like sports cars but in a crash small vehicles are at a disadvantage.