Hi, I took my car in for an inspection and the mechanic said I needed a right front strut repair. I get my car back and it is making a sound when I turn the wheel. I thought perhaps he tightened something up. Sound persists after 4 weeks or so. I call them back and am told that I have a leak in my power steering lines. My car made no sounds at all prior to this guy's repairs. I question why he made no such mention at the time of inspection and he says he didn't think it was a safety issue yet mention my oil pan had a small leak.I have a 2005 mini cooper. I know he did something wrong to my car and they want to charge me 500.00 to fix it. The lines are 79.00! I abhor lying mechanics! I think their negligence should net me a free repair. What do you guys think?

Asked by Nov 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM about the 2005 MINI Cooper Hatchback

My 2 cents worth. They might have damaged the line when they did the strut install. Noise is usually air in the power steering system BTW. Your word against theirs. I did looked the up the hoses and each one is $75. You waited a month to go back, if you would have went back in a day or so, your luck might have been better. To drain the system and replace the lines shouldn't be $500. I'm sure you won't be able to get it done for free, but you can try. I'd say negotiate a price no more than $200 to get it fixed right and don't go back. HTH's.

Best Answer

Stop dealing with crooks- you can't win- why waste more time? Just go find a good mechanic who is working in a quality foreign car garage- research it, and when you find it, stick with it- a lesson learned

Hi Jamblues, This mechanic is at the dealership. I am going to find the type of mechanic you described and order the parts myself. Thanks!

Hi Tom. I know, I am still kicking myself for not going back immediately. I have always taken my car to the dealership but that routine is dead! I will find a qualified mechanic to make my repairs. Thanks for the feedback!

This is exactly why imports need to go to a repair shop that specializes in imports! My Nephew also found this out the hard way with his '98 BMW 528i. Chalk it up to money spent for a lesson learned. HTH. -Jim

Hi Mark, I took it to the Mini dealership where I have taken it since I ordered the car. And yup, money spent because it has to be repaired but lesson learned indeed. From now on if I hear so much as a whisper they are getting called on it immediately!