Where can I find the EGR Valve?

20

Asked by Mar 30, 2011 at 12:57 PM about the 1990 Mercury Sable 4 Dr GS Sedan

Car is choking out, backfiring, and wont run.  Used a hand scanner to get the codes, and I got throttle position sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor/EGR valve.  But I can't find the EGR Valve.. Is it under the throttle cover ?  I want to take out, try cleaning it, and putting it back.  Maybe it has carbon build up and it's sticking.  But I don't see it.

20

Ooops. forgot.. It's a 1990 sable gs with a 3.0 engine. I've had the fuel pump replaced, the fuel pressure and regulator tested, rails and injectors are good, and a good coil too.

735

make shur that there are no vacum leaks between the Mass airfllow sensor and the intake manifold. Check the accordian tube inbetween the throttle body and the mass air sensor. Ill bet the accordian tube has a split in it. You canot fix it with tape and must be replaced with a good one. Then replace the egr valve and sensor this egr code is a common problem with Fords with as low as 50k miles. The valve is stuck open and is very hard to clean out replacing the valve and sensor will shut that code down. How long has it been cinse it's been tuned up? If you dont know what an egr valve looks like maybe you should not tackle drivability problems with computer controlled cars.

20

I did check the accordian tube, took it off, sprayed some cleaner on the choke plate area. No rips or tears. The car has just over 50k original miles. I had it tuned up several times a year, changed the oil every three thousand. I know what the egr valve looks like, and I know it's supposed to be on or near the exaust manifold, but I don't see it. There is a cover over the throttle, near the manifold, and I wonder if that's why I don't see it. I put another computer (ecm) from a topaz for awhile. It ran fine, burned gas too fast, but the engine light was on. So I put the original ecm back in, and thats when I got the hand scanner and the codes. I had the chiltons manual out, and it's not real clear about the location... The parts are not expensive, lots of after market replacements for a 90. It's not running right now, and I'd hate to pay someone to do a job I know I could do. I've called alot of the parts stores, etc and asked where the egr is mounted on my particular model, and no one knows. I'll look to see if there are any leaks/vacum leaks. Thanks

20

Got My Answer. Went to the ford dealership, and they showed me a diagram, and my particular sable did not come with an egr valve, instead there is a flat cover over where it would have been mounted on the back of the intake. Fixed my problem too. The throttle position sensor, and the map sensor. Less than 100 in parts, and not hard at all. Car runs perfect. No need to take it to the mechanic.

10

Hello, where is the egr valve on a 1997 Mercury Sable?