New xr2 owner on the block!

Asked by Sep 29, 2011 at 03:26 AM about the 1991 Mercury Capri 2 Dr XR2 Turbo Convertible

Just bought an xr2 turbo with 100,000 miles on it. Never been in an accident, good condition considering its age, a fun project car for me. Just got it yesterday, was driving it home, and noticed that in a certain rpm range, it bogs/ misfires? loses power temporarily. It does this sometimes, but not all of the time. The guy I got it from says he tuned it recently. I think he only put new plugs in it. Any ideas?

If it's at higher rpm you might try a new fuel filter.

I also have an XR2 that does the same; the reason for this is that there is a sensor inside of the motor intake that tells the fuel pump to shut off momentarily if the pressure of the boost in the intake exceeds 11 Psi (Which although the stock waste gate is set to let pressure out at 8 Psi, the turbo like to produce more boost than that and overrides it a bit).