Why wont it idle when in nutreul or with clutch engaged?

Asked by Jan 24, 2014 at 01:50 PM about the 1991 Mercury Capri 2 Dr STD Convertible

For some reason my capri wont idle at all with the clutch ingaged or in nutreul. I changed the oil and put in new transmission oil yesterday. Was working fine before I did that. I did spill some transmission oil on the drivers side of the car. Any one have any ideas?

Will it stay running if you give it some gas? If so it's probably a idle air control valve issue. Also check for any loose vacuum and wire harness connections that you might have bumped while working on the car.

What kind of oil did you put in?

Check your owners manual for the correct fluid. From what I can tell from a 1991 Capri service manual, it calls for Mercon ATF for the manual or automatic trans. If you put it gear lube, it's most likely way too thick.