Help car wont run!

Asked by Jan 08, 2012 at 12:44 AM about the 1991 Mercury Capri 2 Dr STD Convertible

I have been a proud capri owner for the last 6 years I love my little car its great for gas milage and fun to drive. 2 years ago the car started accelerating at a decreased rate and just kept getting worse. (felt like i pushed the gas but wasn't going as fast as i should be). I was unable to get repairs they were too costly at the time. Now i'm trying to repair it and i've taken it to a shop. I have fuel pressure, spark, battery, timing is on. But the fuel injectors will not fire the gas into the engine. The shop says replace the distributor and I did that and it started a few times and died shortly after. Now the shop says that I should try to fix the pcm? ecm? whatever the computer brain is called in the car. They can't test it so they've sent it out to another guy and he can't find replacement parts. Does the computer brain make sense as the problem or am i getting my chain pulled ?

15

My problem with my 91 Capri was with a corroded wire that broke or seperated that is under the coolant overflow bottle next to the main relay. The car would not run without fixing the wire though. Injectors could be clogged and a bottle of cleaner in the tank would help that. I was told that the car would still run at idle with bad PCM....I dought it is a bad PCM. I have also found that plug wires will short giving the appearance of low power. An easy test is to unplug and replug each one with the car running till you find one that does not affect the car running. Hope this helps!

145

I think you should of never taken it to any other shop, another than FORD. Their shop rates are near low as others, AND THEY KNOW THEIR OWN CARS. Your car was built by FORD of Australia. And they don't play the swap every part until it's fix. And they guarantee results or you don't pay. You might someday try locating a maintenance manual on eBay. They show up sometimes. Search the web for Capri clubs, and also on FACEBOOK has a few. Of the some 88k built only 24k are known to be still on the road or hidden in a garage like mine. Also on those ECM & PCM can be expensive and hard to find. NO FORD won't have it, maybe part store MAYBE, else eBay. also check out this link: http://www.fixya.com/search/p698247-mercury_1991_capri/ecu RAND take care, and live long !! .

60

Pleaseeeeee any help welcome... I've got Ford Capri Convertible 1990 as a present of the women which drove it to Ireland 7 years ago and didn't run it since that time. Capri runs for a moment when I throw a fuel straight to the engine and use quick starter spray into air intake I know the easy way is give it to Mechanic but I want to give this car a second life only by my hands even if mistakes will be expensive just love to save things like this from scrap yard :) I checked all fuses and replaced bad ones cleaned all electric bits to make sure there is power checked fuel pump it works but engine doesn't take the petrol at all I don't know much about it so any info will help me to understand a little bit this unique car :) thank you

I have a 93 capri very reliable car as long as you take care of it. Ive had a similar problem with car not starting and using starter fluid and the fuel in engine also checked fuel pump it had power. I troubleshooted myself checked things couldnt figure it out took it to a shop they said i needed to replace a fuel pump and fuel filter tried to charge me about $400 to replace too expensive.I ended up buying just the fuel pump(around $120) and having a friend mechanic change it for $50. The car turned right on never again had the problem. Car was driving a little slow whenfirst bought changed spark plugs and wires the car drove perfect after that.I put a bottle of Lucas fuel cleaner in my gas tank after changing fuel pump it helps clean the fuel line and fuel injectors improves acceleration.