i just changed the spark plugs in my 92 cougar 3.8.I had to idle it up so it would stay running in drive.Now when I drive it for about 30 minutes or so.It seems to hesitate when I try to accelarate.What could be the problem?

Asked by Jul 13, 2016 at 02:06 PM about the 1992 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr LS Coupe

I've changed plugs,and air filter.Getting poor accelaration

Few possibilities scan it for DTC codes as a start. OBDII port

so changing the wires will help me with my idiling problem and bad acceleration?

Did you check the gap on the spark plugs before installing them ? I know that plugs are pre gapped to fit most vehicles they go to but sometimes they need to be gapped for certain vehicles.

yes...and make sure that the battery is newer than five and the battery cables are solidly connected to the motor and to the frame chassis....that will help things...as far as the idling solid spark is what is needed...perhaps renewing the ground with a fresh battery is the key here~

Bob Beaman

1992 Cougar with a 3.8 is NOT distributorless ignition. I would look at the distributor cap, rotor and sparkplug wires first. How many miles on this Cougar?

Best Answer

it's over 150.000 miles on it.Someone said it could be the fuel filter.I've never changed it.And I had the car over 10yrs.

Bob Beaman

If it were mine I would change plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and fuel filter. I am not saying this will solve your problem. The 3.8 engine also had many issues with head gaskets. I personally repaired bad head gaskets on a 1993 Cougar we owned many years ago. Keep us posted on what you find the problem to be.

i did have to repair the heads a couple yrs ago.I repaced the disrtibutor cap,rotor about 2 mnths ago.So I'll try the wires and the fuel filter.Thanks